Re: Maple Syrup

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:47 am

Much better ratio this go round 8 gallons boiled into lil over 30 ozs I'd say
IMG_20220330_003130773.jpg

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:40 pm

Niiiiice! Nicely Done Homey. It's good to see someone getting outdoors and being productive.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:30 pm

IMG_20220405_194553832.jpg
Took another day trip up today through the snow...they running good got about 60 gallons off 32 taps in the past week. And like 3 of the lines were pulled out

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:31 pm

He loves helping
IMG_20220405_144705665_HDR.jpg

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:38 pm

Awesome work homey!

It appears like it's similar as an outdoor endeavor in that once you boil down the money input to the final product....it's expensive AF.

But I'd bet you have a fraction of the cost per ounce that most dudes have into the walleye filets per ounce they bring home.

I mean....we all love getting outdoors but think of how much freaking prime cut steaks we could be eating if we only bought meat?

That's why I look at it as entertainment value second to only the value from a health standpoint in terms of why hunting, fishing, and outdoor stuff like making syrup is worth every penny. Health = physical & mental

I've realized people that are generally boring and don't try new outdoor pastimes are obese and in poor health.

I've never done the sap to syrup thing but I'd be shocked if I don't at some point before I die. Whether I do it in the next five or in forty.....more a function of circumstances, people I meet, and at what point I get the itch to do it. I've got enough of an interest it'll happen at some point.

Carrying 5-gallon buckets full of heavy liquid through the spring woods seems like a lot of work......and I like work. Ice fishing is a lot of work. Duck hunting is a lot of work. People need to do shit like that to not have their body fall apart. People need to be ran more than cars do, and almost as much as dogs do.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:35 pm

Ya man I love work too. Absolutely love it. Going to bed completely exhausted from a days work...whether it's a hobby or actual work is one of the most gratifying things to me. Knowing that you do and accomplish what so few others do...just so satisfying.

Ya definitely not a money making venture lol. So far roughly I'd say between gas, filters, propane boiling...not counting the buckets etc I bought this year because they can carried over many years. I got probably $500 into making 3-4 gallons syrup.

Most people would consider that crazy.

But you know what I consider crazy...is going out to dinner for $100 a pop. Or Caribou every day. Etc etc. The list goes on.

I genuinely enjoy this and it bring me great pleasure. And that's all that matters

Having said that...I read into the MN cottage food producers laws and may try to sell some this year to offset fuel costs. If I can do a hobby I enjoy while minimizing the costs or making it free...why the hell not?

We had another great trip up this weekend. Got another 50 gallons sap...slayed some perch on the mud flats. Got drunk...worked hard...does it get better? Not for me

Kept the equipment out so at least one more collection upcoming. This weather is crazy I may just keep collecting long as it allows

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:04 pm

And getting up tomorrow and hanging drywall by myself at my house in Isanti. Fugging bring it absolutely love it. I'll come home and lift weights too. And if dog is up for it we'll go for a jog. He's pretty wore out though doubt we'll do that lol

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:11 pm

If anyone is game...doing a final sap collection tomorrow. Closest guess to gallons gets you a free jar mailed. Guesses good til noon tomorrow cause I'll be collecting around that time. Based on time it's been collecting, time of year number of taps etc...id say guesses between 0-100 gallons is the range you should be in. If there's any takers shoot your guess...I'll let y'all know late afternoon what the final collection was

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:54 am

69 gallons. FINAL ANSWER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”