Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Maple Syrup

Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:23 am

Very cool. Maybe a cellular trail cam would work to help keep tabs on your sugarbush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:41 pm

Went up again today and did a final collection and pulled everything. 10 more gallons sap. Didn't seem to be flowing much today after I emptied containers this morning. Biggest problem I saw in the forecast was the rain and without covered containers would have just collected rainwater.

Well do final boils and cleaning tomorrow and see what the final tally is. But I'd say first year decently successful, know what we need to change for next year .

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Cellular cam may be an idea! I think covered containers with more capacity will be the biggest thing. Then if we can go up on weekends and one trip midweek should be ok as far as the overflowing. I'm going to be very interested to check the trees out this summer and see how many more maples we have around to potentially tap

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Screenshot_20210321-210601.png

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Not gonna be selling but an online acquaintance took it upon himself to make this...without asking...free of charge. Thought it was pretty badass. Well probably put it on the bottles we give to family for fun
image0-1.png

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:00 pm

In my opinion, judging by the color difference you’ve got, I’d dump them all in one bucket, stir, and rebottle.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Ya thought about it...I also reboiled some to try and darken. But the two on the left are "deeper" bottles too and absorb more light making them look darker to an extent...cause when I put two of the smaller bottles together they look just as dark...

I dunno...I don't know what I'm doing.

I did some reading on color and saw that time if season can make a difference...is there a science to boiling down to get that dark amber color that you should strive for? Like to a certain temp of holding at a certain temp for a set amount of time, etc?

The big bottle seemed to be best color/taste wise and that's the one I "overboiiled" and had overflow on the stove while I was cutting and splitting wood for dad

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:58 pm

Sweet logo.

We have some giant maples in my hood. My neighbors tapped one of my trees last year and I could not believe how much sap it produced. They were filling multiple 5 gallon buckets a day. I hardly eat any syrup otherwise I’d probably take up the hobby. Not much else to do this time of year.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:29 pm

I honestly don't either but was just something I thought would be fun to do. We both are trying to stay off carbs...well probably keep the big jar for a cheat here and there should last all year. One if the smaller jars already went to her parents...one will go to my dad...rest divided into 4 oz jar and disappear to siblings, neighbor etc. Lot of work to give it all away lol

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:41 am

Walked around at the cabin last weekend and we have way way more maples than I realized. I've got a ton of trees marked for next spring

One question I have...some of the stuff we put in jars has a lot if crystalized sugar forming already. In the bit of reading I've done sounds like this is due to overboiling, the sugar content is too high? I did it all "by feel" this spring so maybe I should get some proper tools to gauge sugar content for next year? Not that I really care necessarily...I just eat the crystals

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”