Mergie Marauder

Re: Which One....

Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:11 am

Holy sheet dude… those pheasants are awesome. Well done

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:57 pm

Thanks! Painted it on a five dollar canvas and paint set purchased at Family Dollar in about ninety minutes. Already clear coated and called er good.....thought about adding more detail but less is more sometimes.....

Screenshot_20231004-135844_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:31 am

IMG_20231004_230050900.jpg
Looks awesome!

Gf painted this at one of those paint and drink outings

She wanted to get rid of it...I put it my office.

It's even simpler than yours but I can appreciate the work and emotion that goes into art

Especially because I could never do anything even close to hers or yours work

You have a true gift...even if you don't receive recognition for it know that and be proud of it

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:17 pm

I like her painting a lot! It reminds me of being in Canada and seeing the northern lights.

I always tell people that they're better off buying a canvas and some paints from Walmart and doing a painting if they want something new to hang above their couch.....it'll cost less and be a lot cooler regardless of their talent level. Hell, just do a Jackson Pollack if nothing else with matching room colors.

Thanks for the compliment! I wish I could figure out a way to make a buck doing it, but then again....I'd probably enjoy it a lot less if I did it even remotely professionally. As always....the best things in life are free.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 pm

Not much money to be made being a wildlife painter anymore. My buddies dad is one and I think he makes most of his money doing custom one of a kind paintings these days. Selling prints is a thing of the past. Seems like a dying art.

Nice work on the pheasant painting. Thanks for sharing.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:26 pm

Nershi wrote:Not much money to be made being a wildlife painter anymore. My buddies dad is one and I think he makes most of his money doing custom one of a kind paintings these days. Selling prints is a thing of the past. Seems like a dying art.

Make art to be marketable for the people that will.pay.

Anyone calling their dog a "fur baby" will make coin available for custom dog art.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Yeah, I don't know if I'd want to carer to the demographic of clientele who call their dogs fur babies. I'll just keep doing them for me and then give them away.

Like this one that will meet the scrap heap. Some are destined to not be good from the start, and those you need to ditch. I like to start off pretty rough in terms of painting them quickly and then once I like it I'll start taking it seriously and touch things up and start adding detail, fixing mistakes, etc. This one I've never liked at any point and won't so it's time to move on......

Screenshot_20231017-125625_Gallery.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:50 am

One of the few I've ever said. "Fuggit," and painted over to start something new....

Screenshot_20231020-094839_Gallery.jpg
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:56 pm

lanyard wrote:
Nershi wrote:Not much money to be made being a wildlife painter anymore. My buddies dad is one and I think he makes most of his money doing custom one of a kind paintings these days. Selling prints is a thing of the past. Seems like a dying art.

Anyone calling their dog a "fur baby" will make coin available for custom dog art.

Yea he paints lots of dogs. Kinda weird but I guess it isn’t as bad as some of those weird mofo’s that bring their dog to the taxidermist when it dies.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:14 am

Nershi wrote:
lanyard wrote:

Yea he paints lots of dogs. Kinda weird but I guess it isn’t as bad as some of those weird mofo’s that bring their dog to the taxidermist when it dies.

When I did taxidermy the shop would get a call every few months from some crazy cat lady or dude who had to put down his dog....inquiring about having their pet mounted. To me, the concept seemed only slightly less depraved than stuff granny and having her standing in the kitchen or seated at the table for Thanksgiving, etc.

My boss, the shop owner, a well respected and very accomplished taxidermist.....there's only a handful of shops in the Midwest, or anywhere, that employs a whole team of taxidermists.....it was a legit business in a commercial building with a bunch of W-2 employees.....so no joke and not some joker who has been in business six months who's operating by doing work for literally next to nothing since there'd be $300 into a deer head in just cost of materials before the thing was started......

...anyways, my boss always turned down pets, and it wasn't because of how fukced up of a notion it is to stuff a cherished family pet, which was my assumption for the first couple years I worked there. We'd all take turns answering the phone and we all answered several calls about pets. I can't remember why I was up front in the show room when our boss was on one of these calls, but I finally heard the actual reason why he turned down the work....and he took in all kinds of shit he should've turned down....kids first duck on YWD that was a gross pinfeathered mess soaked in mud (blood comes out no problem, dirt/mud is a motherfugger though) the dog had rolled around in his mouth a few times and chewed up before dropping.

We didn't do pets because the owner at one point did but he never had a single satisfied customer. The deer guys shot? Most times the dude had never seen it before the moment they shot it....if they had it on trail cams or watched it while feeding it or whatever......

.....they still didn't know that animal intimately.

The deer heads that come out of taxidermy shops, even the really expensive great shops, will very much resemble a live deer......

.....just not the actual deer shot by whomever.

There's not a taxidermist on earth that has the ability to mount any animal that well.....so there's no freaking way anyone can mount someone's dog or cat....an animal that they looked at and interacted with daily....lived with....often slept with.....there's no way the lap dog or cat is going to have the same look and twinkle in it's eyes when stuffed that even remotely resembles someone's actual pet. They'll always look like a different animal, and when they do......this is extremely traumatic for the owner.....showing up to pick up what they're hoping will be the next best thing to their pet still being alive......

....only to experience the horror of realizing they just morbidly mutilated their beloved pet, and now instead of honoring the animal that they loved.....they have to look at the fukced up awful thing they did to something they loved with their whole hearts fully.....and that's really the worst way ever to say goodbye to a loved one and about as opposite of giving them the dignity of "resting in peace."
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”