Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Re: Duck Hunters Could Be Shoulder to Shoulder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:34 am

If what I saw this weekend out in ND for the early goose season, it will be a complete zoo out in ND for the entire season. Ran into guys from Ohio, Wisconsin, and MN. I have been going out there since they started the early season, this was the most people I have ever seen. We were lucky in the fact we have private posted fields to hunt or else it would have been a joke!

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:51 am

I'll be hunting private water 100% of the time this fall in Minnesota otherwise, yes it will suck!

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 am

I guess I haven't seen the influx of guys fishing. I'd say Mille Lacs is down.....I haven't seen a boat at the other spot I've been fishing.

I stand corrected on ND. It sounds like a lot of guys are going there as a backup. I figured most guys would be Canada or bust. There's going to be a lot of birds hanging North of the border. They'll figure it out pretty quick especially with a shit load of guys right on the border. Maybe this will help MN hunting? It's a good rice crop this year. I wonder what role the drought will play?

I wish h2ofwlr was here to answer all these questions....

:(
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:28 am

Fish Felon wrote:I guess I haven't seen the influx of guys fishing. I'd say Mille Lacs is down.....I haven't seen a boat at the other spot I've been fishing.

I stand corrected on ND. It sounds like a lot of guys are going there as a backup. I figured most guys would be Canada or bust. There's going to be a lot of birds hanging North of the border. They'll figure it out pretty quick especially with a shit load of guys right on the border. Maybe this will help MN hunting? It's a good rice crop this year. I wonder what role the drought will play?

I wish h2ofwlr was here to answer all these questions....

:(

I literally have no handle on the drought because he quit posting.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Think the rice was mature enough to get blown off the stalks? And if so is it mature enough to still be duck food? That last system sent some massive winds through rice country. I know some years the ricers said it was a bad season due to a wind event blowing it all off.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Outdoor News had an article saying there will be a bumper crop of rice but I haven’t read it closely yet.

Out in front of my house it looks modest. Area is probably half of a good year due to June rain and we had a ton of goose families here that put a big hurt on the standing stalls all summer. Reckon it’s still harvestable but no bumper crop here. Rivers around here are flood level or close after last week’s monsoons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:25 am

nodak will be a zoo for sure. Ive been going to DL for 16 years now the posting of land from 04 til now is incredible and Im betting it will be even more this fall. Outfitters have taken control of that area. Once guys show up and see that 95% of the land in that area is Posted hopefully they move on. I foresee a bunch of guys camping out the night before in a field or slough to make certain they get one good hunt in Im sure there will be many scuffles, and probably 50 no trespassing tickets handed out in that area opening weekend as well. With that said birds will be moving nonstop!

Gonna be a wild one, only 6 more weeks
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:33 pm

Just got back from eastern sd, Watertown area.

It’s very dry. Many sloughs have no water. Bigger water is down 12” or so.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:16 pm

I’m worried all my hidey holes could be dry this fall. Could see ole brother drunk dynasty getting waked in his canoe by all the mud motors zooming past me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:37 am

The competition for field in the Dakota could be interesting this fall. Like someone said, guys sleeping in the spreads.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”