Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Coyote hunting

Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Any of you guys call coyotes at night?

Just bought a thermal scope.....pretty amazing where technology is these days.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Coyote hunting

Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:02 pm

I have but never with optics. Only full moon stuff. Never had any luck. I’d consider myself a day time caller. I know the guys with thermal/IR optics probably kill the most by a lot tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:31 pm

I bought a .22-250 around 8-9 years ago with full intentions and the thing has seen maybe 20 target rounds.

Maybe this is the year

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 pm

I’ve been dumping table scraps in the field behind the house. So far, I’ve drawn in a couple of visitors. Hopefully they will keep coming back. The .233 will give them a warm welcome.

If not , I’ll try some calling near the swamp area. The neighbor shot 2 last Saturday about 2-miles from the house.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:00 am

I think these days with all the pressure u gotta call at night. Some fu(k faces might could have shot me this past weekend when I was doing the CWD hunt.

HnkrCrash
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:53 am

Coyotes have overtaken geese as my favorite thing to hunt. Only get out a few times per year, but it’s way more fun than anything else IMO. As I’ve told people, totally a different ballgame when the animal you are pursuing is coming to eat you (the call/decoy). Unfortunately I don’t have any gear for myself other than whites, but have worked out a pretty solid deal with a good friend wherein he provides the guns, ammo, scopes, caller, decoy and I line up access to land owned by friends and relatives.

He texted me the day night vision became legal in MN and was jacked. He’s been saving for new scopes all year and it will be interesting to see how many yotes we may have missed before that will now be visible with these new tools.
"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people."
- Ron Swanson

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:35 am

What time of night do you guys typically focus on? All night long or do you go til like midnight to keep the sleep schedule somewhat intact, really early in the morning til sunup?

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm

If I’m doing some night calls I just go after dark but hardcore dudes I’ve talked to will go from like 10-2 or even later, sleep schedule be damned.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:29 pm

No thermal for me so I gotta go during the fullmoon.

Watch the moon rise times. Sometimes its not up high enough until 10pm or so.

I also go some right at sunrise or sundown. These time get the least action for me around here due to someone messing up the stand, snowmobile, ice fisherman, road hunters etc.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:44 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:What time of night do you guys typically focus on? All night long or do you go til like midnight to keep the sleep schedule somewhat intact, really early in the morning til sunup?

I can walk out my front door and shoot them so I go creep around almost every night for like a half hour with thermal. It's amazing how good it works. When I go calling now I like to just go for a couple hours, I have friends who go like all night but I'm too old for that.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”