Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Swans

Sun May 23, 2021 7:15 am

I think it's time we start shooting them. The Swan population in my neck of the woods is damn near to the level of geese these days.

Trumpeters are aggressive assholes that take over prime wetlands and push out virtually all other ducks and geese. When a pair sets up shop don't expect to see other ducks and geese using it.

One thing I've realized about them when cyber scouting is that they can be seen on Google maps satellite layer. I started looking at little wetlands I've never hunted but might check out on a scouting run if passing through the area.....and the fukcers are everywhere. What's worse is by going off other features I can date....some of the satellite imagery is as old as five years, and there's Way more swans than five years ago....probably double.

The trumpeter Swan population in MN needs to be viewed for what it is.....an outright disaster.

First off, the DNR started transplanting adult swans out into the wild without taking into account whether of not they'd migrate. Only to find out that guess what? They don't. If it wasn't for the warmwater discharge from the nuke plant in Monticello the swan population wouldn't exist as even a hundredth of the population. It's the only "wild" population of migratory waterfowl I can think of that needs a power plant and people feeding them a shitload of corn on a small stretch of river to keep them alive. If the power plant was closed for whatever reason.....bye-bye swans.....going to be a lot of big white feathered chunks of bird sticking out from frozen ice on the Mississippi. Hell, look how many are dead off 94 there every year? If a handful dying of lead poisoning is such a big deal why aren't the same people bringing up the hundred or more roadkill every year....easily.

Fuggit.....restitution is only a grand a bird....that's if you get caught. Start shooting these retarded disgrace of a waterfowl population.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Swans

Sun May 23, 2021 10:26 am

Lol they haven’t been feeding them for two years now in Monti. I don’t see us ever getting a swan season in MN no matter how well they are recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JayRo
Coot Commander

Sun May 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Here is a question for you…..which population is growing faster, swans or eagles? Anyone else remember when it was noteworthy to see an eagle? Now it seems like a day does not pass I don’t see at least one. 100% agree on the swan season though……let’s open it up.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 23, 2021 4:02 pm

I get borderline annoyed when someone gets fired up about seeing an eagle. Then I have to pretend like I care too and actually pull my head to look when I really couldn’t care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Fuk eagles, one tried to kill me 2 years ago when it almost beamed me in the dome with a softball sized rock.

Damn Sandhills are thicker than chit now even in southern mn the last few years and it's be nice to get a crack at them other than extreme nw MN.

Other southern mn newbies are ringers, magansers and cans all through summer and having lil ones.

As for swans...the nuke plant isn't the only place wintering them in MN. I've seen them on two undisclosed lakes along the central/southern duck zone border while ice fishing closer to s Dak than the cities.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 24, 2021 6:09 am

They winter in Grand Rapids and Bemidji too

Anyone else noticed that formerly hunted species like swans and Sandhills populations grew quite rapidly after hunting was stopped?

But we’re supposed to believe hunting has no impact on duck populations. Those ducks sure are resilient! Record flights all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 am

Swans are out of control and in almost every decent sized wetland. I agree with Quack. Is there a connection between hunting and populations? Of course.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 24, 2021 10:05 am

“Toxic” shot only.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 am

I think hunting can play a big factor but it depends on the species. Birds like cranes only have a brood size of 1-3 per year, so they will of course be effected by hunting more than a mallard duck which can dump 13 eggs in a clutch and have potential for two broods in one year.

lickmyvowels
Mergie Marauder

Mon May 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Naw it must be global warming and them birds like the warmer weather you know kinda like 80 yo Minnesotans

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”