Quack
Mergie Marauder

Local hatch

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:13 am

I’m sure the late 80s and early 90s were worse. Several years of drought between 85-91? Maybe to 93?

If my memory is close it was 3 & 30 for quite a while and then 4 & 40 in 94, 5 & 50 in 95, and 6&60 ever since 96.

I think I remember that right because the daily limit was the same as the last number of the year.

I also recall widespread panic in about 2008. Can’t remember if that was one of the years “saved” by late spring rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Local hatch

Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:57 am

[quote="Quack] I also recall widespread panic in about 2008. [/quote]

Which shows did you catch? Good tunes.

Hunting was very good in the 80’s and 90’s in MN. Here’s to hoping this drought pushes the migration back East. It seemed like every year during the wet years the migration was pushing further west.

Could make for some interesting conditions. The spot I had in mind for teal opener may not be huntable with mud flats of loonchit making it impossible to get to cover.

Anybody been out to rice country to look at the crop? I haven’t wondered down that way yet to check it out but I’m hearing it is shaping up to be a bumper crop. Maybe even too thick in places.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 am

Way too thick and way too little water in a lot of places.

The iron bridge landing on the Miss by Bemidji looks almost in-navigable even with canoe.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 am

Nershi wrote:Anybody been out to rice country to look at the crop? I haven’t wondered down that way yet to check it out but I’m hearing it is shaping up to be a bumper crop. Maybe even too thick in places.

I've been out a few places. It's not as good as I wouldve predicted. Theres definitely some and I've seen far worse years. The rice that's available is popping up in new spots. Be curious to talk to USFWS @ Rice Lake NWR to get their take. Anywhere That wouldve had rice in the past is likely a mud flat. I suppose if you're in a wetland that's manipulated by a dam or structure not much changed but naturally occuring water has normal places not navigable and rice is popping up in new spots. Just my observations in 1/2 doz places from North of Hibbing down to North Branch and and not further west than Baxter.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:56 pm

^^^Brainerd/Baxter area is stacked for rice, but it's popping like you said....that's definitely spot on imo.

I'm not seeing shit for ducks though. I'm actually seeing mainly singles and pairs of mallards bobbing around.

I've been riding a bicycle around trying to get in shape and not seeing shit....like literally nothing. This fairly large, fairly productive wetland complex had a total of two mallards on it from what I saw.

I still haven't seen a brood of ducks besides a hen mallard with four ducklings on Mille Lacs. There's a merganser with ten young on the lake.....other than that though, and geese, not seeing shit.

Screenshot_20210722-225146_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am

When down to the lake the other day. Wow. Duck food all over, nutseage, smartweed, arrowhead, and millet for miles. Just add water starting in August. It’s going to be an epic fall.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:43 pm

It would have been an epic fall if there was any production between here and the boreal.

Part of me says there’s still millions of ducks that have to go from Canada to the coast…

Part of me says… the fall flight can’t be real impressive given the expanse of the drought

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 pm

Mama mallard had 5 last week and she is down to 1 as of this morning. The topwater bite is on. Image

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:04 pm

You know what they say. Kill a muskie save a duck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 pm