How would you rate the 2021 MN duck season (MN only)

Best ever!
11%
Pretty good
No votes
Average
22%
Pretty bad
56%
Worst ever!
11%

Total votes: 9
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Rate the 2012 MN duck season

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:19 pm

Well yesterday it was over for MN,
So how was it?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Rate the 2012 MN duck season

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:35 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Well yesterday it was over for MN,
So how was it?

I do not recall 2012 but I will give 2021 shot.

Early Teal Season - F - Never pulled the trigger and if fact I do not even think I saw a teal the day I hunted. It was hot and humid out and did not really even seem like hunting. Not super hyped to do it again. Probably go after doves next year if I hunt in that kind of weather unless I somehow got on private land full of teal type of thing. The early teal did not really do much for me as far as excitement but I can say I tried it.

Regular Season - B- found a good spot I was able to shoot three limits out of. It was a fluke I found it but it produced as it was full of duck food. The other few Minnesota hunts I did were mostly busts with few birds seen. Mallards were very smart and clearly there was a lack of juveniles.

Honestly I hope they lower the limits and season next year given how bad the hatch was. Maybe do the old 45 days and 4 duck deal. Would probably help thin out some of the duck dynasty hunters as well who take 70 yard shots nonstop. Limit the opportunity and maybe you get rid of a lot of the amateurs. All they have ever know is generous season and bag limits

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Think I only went 4 times which is disappointing...but a lot going on. Can't really gauge it by that but was happy with what I shot considering

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:21 pm

I vaguely recall the 1980s although I wasn’t old enough to shoot then. My dad kept records from about 1976-1984… then quit because it was so bad. I started keeping records in 1992.

For his “duck camp” which is no longer a camp but now just a point on a lake with 2-3 blinds…

Season take was 16 ducks and 2 geese. Unreal, especially since the lake was in good shape, habitat-wise.

My only bright spot was teal opener. I hope to do more teal season hunts next year

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:25 pm

Not super terrible, but far from good for me. Hunting in Wyoming ate up the first 3 weekends in October which is when a small water public land hunter make his hay. Very little time to scout for birds and results showed. For a cow elk and two days of mountain fly fishing, it was well worth the trade off.

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Day before season I had an issue with my eye and had to head to the eye doc. Detached vitreous sidelined me the first couple days. Didn't really matter as pool 3 in RRWMA was choked with wild rice. Supposedly they were not able to control it this year with water levels and the rice was tall and thick. Lots of ringnecks but getting to them was almost impossible, even with a mud motor and if you did drop one, marking was hard and the dog had issues getting to it. Decoys were pretty much useless as you couldn't see them in the tipped over rice.

Pool 3 provided an excellent teal opener and the first year you could hunt early geese over water in the NW zone. Took a deer hunting partner that had never hunted waterfowl. Limited on both teal and geese the first two days. But it was a bitch with the low water levels. even with a canoe you had to paddle through muck to get to huntable water.

The river was pretty much dried up but beavers got it dammed up by the 2nd weekend, No mallards in the river but I shot more wood ducks than I ever have....not saying much though as woodies are pretty scarce up there in normal years.

Sharptail and grouse hunting was very good though so focused more on that and gave up on ducks. Cranes were pretty much non existent this year but did get the only two I shot at.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Never hunted RRWMA when I lived up there. Looks like a cool area. I do miss hunting up there sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:42 pm

Hobbydog… iz dat ze German muensterlander? Ve are sinking of getting vun of dose (that’s me typing in my bad German accent)

hobbydog
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Quack wrote:Hobbydog… iz dat ze German muensterlander? Ve are sinking of getting vun of dose (that’s me typing in my bad German accent)

Yes it is. Small Munsterlander. I got a pair of them. Excellent dogs. Do you have a breeder in mind?

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:46 pm

I haven’t looked very closely yet but the wife is leaning towards a large munsterlander

How would you rate the differences? Did you give any consideration to a large or did you know for sure you wanted a small?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”