Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Spring Snow Goose 2022

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:31 am

Anyone plan of heading out this Spring? Sounds like the Southeast part of ND will be a muddy mess, lots of snow there.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Spring Snow Goose 2022

Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:43 am

Yes I do plan on going. Snow goose hunting is the one miserable thing I do before winter can finally be over.

My strategy this year I think will be to just hit a major migration area well after the masses have passed thru and just hope to pull in migrating juvies.

After last year, I think I would rather watch empty skies than have adults sailing in right off the deck only to skirt the decoys at 80 yards. Honestly brutal trip last year and it kinda broke mentally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:20 pm

I love adult hunting if you time it with a late season snow storm/cold front. Our very first year decoying got absolutely lucky that a blizzard popped up and we crushed them...flock after flock of adults fighting 45 mph winds 20' off the ground coming towards the spread. I'll never forget it.

But yeah overall decoying migrating adults on regular weather days really aint my thing. I'd rather try to get in a pass shooting op in those situations

I may go but not sure it'll be decoying. One of these years like to get the buddies back together and go out. Honestly wouldn't mind just doing a day trip or couple days trying to pass shoot and just get out and witness it again, been a while

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:32 pm

My buddy wants me to go and it’d be a good year with the solid hatch so I’d like to make it happen. I have the gear but don’t have the time to go out and do all the scouting and hunt several days due to the amount of vacation I’ve taken this winter so we might do a guide for 2-3 days. I am not a big fan of waterfowl guides but I look at spring snows a little different.

Anyone have any recommendations on guides for nd or sd?

Or if anyone will be out there and wants to join up for a few days let me know. I can bring additional gear and pitch in some money for gas for you hauling the trailer out and scouting.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:48 pm

I want to get out to SD for a 2 to 3 day trip. Planning on just going thru a buddy of mine who has runs a few clients every year. He only hunts a large spread in a good migration area. He sets up in a hayfield so we don't have to deal with the mud.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:50 pm

Could give a sh!t less about mud, the one thing I won't ever deal with again is putting stakes into frozen ground. F**** THAT

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:58 pm

Duckman23 wrote:Anyone plan of heading out this Spring? Sounds like the Southeast part of ND will be a muddy mess, lots of snow there.

Went the first five or six years they had it and it was total hit or miss with mostly miss. Did have one really good trip though. Will be interesting in reading the reports from the guys who go.

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:02 pm

Nershi wrote:My buddy wants me to go and it’d be a good year with the solid hatch so I’d like to make it happen. I have the gear but don’t have the time to go out and do all the scouting and hunt several days due to the amount of vacation I’ve taken this winter so we might do a guide for 2-3 days. I am not a big fan of waterfowl guides but I look at spring snows a little different.

Anyone have any recommendations on guides for nd or sd?

Or if anyone will be out there and wants to join up for a few days let me know. I can bring additional gear and pitch in some money for gas for you hauling the trailer out and scouting.

The only one I know of around Sand Lake anyway if Flaland Flyways but they are incredibly expensive at$500 a day. I assume you can probably find one for $200 o day or maybe even less.

South Dakota
HUNT ONLY

Daily Hunt Rate..........................................$500 /pp

Daily Deposit...............................……. $250/pp

*** Groups of 6 are REQUIRED***

The Daily Hunt Rate does not guarantee morning and afternoon hunts. Your guide will make the call to put you in the best possible situation.

Ruenz's Roost in Hecla is a great option for those looking for a close place to stay!

Jake: 605-994-7588

Shelley: 605-994-7589

Other lodging and dining recommendations can be made based on your interests.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:05 pm

Flatland Flyways is wack. Don't give those cocksuckers any money.

Duckman23
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:36 pm

The mud is the whole reason I will go thru a guide and not use my own stuff. I'd rather pay $200.00 a day and not deal with cleaning a 4 wheeler and a whole inside of my trailer and cleaning decoys. Dealt with the mud enough when I was younger out chasing snows. It will be nice hunting over a full body spread and no mud.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”