maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fishing Opener?

Sun May 29, 2022 2:55 pm

Clearwater is awesome for walleyes but it all comes down to boat control. My dad had a cabin in there and I'd try to go with him he diesnt really understand how to fish walleyes...we'd go from 6' of water to 50' in a matter of seconds and never caught anything. Structure is pretty intense out there.

But when I graduated took in upon myself to figure out some spots and didn't take long to hone in on what worked where and how. Regularly get 8-16 walleyes in like 3 hrs...which I consider good at least especially for a "metro" lake but I'm not a walleye fisherman so maybe not that great. Biggest was 27" but catch a lot in the 14-20" range...at least back then. Haven't fished it since and that was like 15 years ago now not sure if stuff has changed but kinda got the urge to try it again

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sun May 29, 2022 4:09 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:But when I graduated took in upon myself to figure out some spots and didn't take long to hone in on what worked where and how. Regularly get 8-16 walleyes in like 3 hrs...which I consider good at least especially for a "metro" lake but I'm not a walleye fisherman so maybe not that great.

Mille Lacs even when it's hot....I'm talking spring 2020 next to no forage in the lake and fish jumping in the boat due to starving....

....catch rates were 0.91 walleyes per hour, which is insane.

The state average catch rate is less than a walleye per day of fishing, but I can't remember what is considered a day....if it's 8 hours (per what state workers call a full work day) or of it's 24 hours and a full day period.....regardless, I don't care where you're fishing in MN.....8-16 walleyes per a few hours on the water is some damn fine fishing.

Keep in mind, most people suck at fishing....and even guys who think they're decent to good.....tend to forget about all the outings where they spend a bunch of time on the water when they only boat one or two in favor of remembering the hour or two they "turned on" and they boated twenty or more in short order........
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:29 pm

Whelp, finally got out on Mille Lacs....after getting my fishing privileges reinstated and buying a license (suckers!)......

The reports I've heard have been good & bad.

Good:

There's a lot forage in the lake due to an abundance of perch....walleyes are healthy, recent year classes should face much lower rates of cannabilism.....fish over 23" are few and far between, but the odd one a guy might hook into will actually have a bit of a gut on it for a change. The lake is seemingly very healthy on the walleye front for a change.

Bad:

As a result of the good, fishing sucks. Bites were few and far between.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”