Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Ice Fishing 2022-23

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:22 pm

That’s crazy cabelas wants $3200. You can get them way cheaper from marine general, reeds, bass khang etc.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:26 pm

Fish Felon wrote:What's the difference between Livescope (Garmin) and Mega Live (humminbird)? Same type of sonar just made by two different brands, right?

Decent demonstration of Mega Live at the 23:10 mark:

https://youtu.be/EgO3tCswgDY

From what I understand the bird does not have the black processing box which limits its capabilities.

The non biased reviews I watched when mega live came out said garmin out performs but I can’t recall the differences.

My buddy looked close at the two before his purchase last month and decided on garmin.

Both great technology but I think bird has some catching up to do. FWIW I run birds on my boat so I’m not a hater by any means.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:44 pm

Nershi wrote:That’s crazy cabelas wants $3200. You can get them way cheaper from marine general, reeds, bass khang etc.

Honestly.... BassPro and Cabela's are complete trash. I just looked at Reed's, same bundle costs $2,500.

I honestly think the only thing they make money on are their credit cards and over priced candy at the checkout. I get 5% back on purchases made at cabela's. That's literally the only reason I ever buy anything from them. The Cabela's in Woodbury didn't have steel shot all fall. Trash store. I don't really love any big box store, but Scheel's and Reed's are just better.

EDIT: I'm going to try to get Cabela's to price match. We shall see.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:04 pm

nevermind, livescope plus is the same price at Reed's and Cabelas. I was comparing Livescope to Livescope Plus. Cabela's isn't currently selling any Livescope, I wonder if they pull it when its on sale so they don't have to pricematch. pieces of sh!t.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:08 pm

my buddy got cabelas for $100 bucks or so when he got his vexilar. Found one on amazon for cheaper and they cabelas manager bitcehd about it a bit but ended up matching the price.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:41 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:nevermind, livescope plus is the same price at Reed's and Cabelas. I was comparing Livescope to Livescope Plus. Cabela's isn't currently selling any Livescope, I wonder if they pull it when its on sale so they don't have to pricematch. pieces of sh!t.

If I was Cabela's or really any store I wouldn't ever price match.....minus a few exceptions where it's a local competitor brick and mortar store retailer, they have the item in stock at the discounted sale price, the item isn't being sold below cost, has at least some margin of profit, and/or there's enough other stuff being purchased in addition to the price match item to make the overall transaction profitable for the store.

It's insane to me that retail stores like Cabela's are even still open. Walk into any one of their stores and ask yourself.....how much does it cost to heat the place in the winter, cool it in the summer? What does insurance run for the building and all the mounts, dioramas, displays, and immense liability of having a store with that much foot traffic....and that many employees? How much does their labor cost them? Not just their hourly but then payroll tax (it costs them more than a dollar to pay an employee a dollar), benefits, work comp, property tax, sales tax, accounting, tax after tax after tax....general maintenance and upkeep of the place....city water, garbage, hazardous waste pickup for batteries and shit......

How in the fukc Cabela's is still open when you have Amazon on umpteen other direct retailers where they take online orders and ship the merchandise from a warehouse without having to deal with a single customer in-person......how most retail stores are still open beats the shit out of me.... their overhead compared to "online/catalog retailers" is fukcing insane. We're not talking a small difference. We're talking overhead that's a dozen to dozens of times higher. It doesn't make sense to me.

Fugggg....just think of what security and shoplifters cost them? Think of how much inventory walks out of the store from shoplifting? Not too many shoplifters at warehouses that ship inventory and don't have walk in customers......

It's insane Cabela's is still open. Fugg....look at Gander.....large outdoor chain and a decent store.....a decent sized albeit overpriced local store where a guy could go kill an hour when bored going shopping. They couldn't make it.....have gone under three different times and that was pre-covid old world shit
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:36 pm

Think of the credit card debt. That’s how they make their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:18 pm

Do they?

How much of a balance do you generally have on your card.....that you wind up paying interest on?

Virtually every club card holder I've ever known pays it every month. They use it a bunch but pay it off monthly thereby incurring no debt....none that they pay any interest on.

Don't get me wrong.....they make money on the credit card, but they have less than a million card members and they're probably the least profitable credit card people ever.....fairly affluent to very affluent, high credit scores, charging no annual fees, most never pay any interest......

.....compare that to your standard high interest high fee credit cards that college kids and people with shitty credit get and the Cabela's card doesn't make dick. It drives a lot of people into their stores a handful of times a year is what it does.

Cabela's was bought for only $5.5 billion.....that was for everything.....all the stores, the shitload of prime real-estate the stores sit on, distribution centers/shipping facilities, manufacturing/factories domestic and foreign (China), and lastly.....Cabela's bank headquarters, home of the club card, down in Kearney, NE.

LinkedIn was bought the same year only months apart for $26 billion......which is a very solid bit of supporting evidence for how there is a lot of fake bullshit money being put on ledgers for large bullshit companies like Microsoft.

Bottom line, Cabela's could go back to catalog only and still make whatever they're making on the club card....maybe they'd lose some by not having brick and mortar stores but it wouldn't be some massive hit.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:04 pm

It might make sense to compare the cabelas card to other cash back cards to see if it makes sense to switch. Especially since cabelas sucks now and you aren’t fond of their store.

I have Amex blue cash. I use my cash back to pay down my balance but I know others who save their cash back and use it to pay for a vacation or big purchases and it can be used on anything and anywhere as long as they accept Amex. I have never wanted to tie my rewards to a specific retailer, airline etc. Double cash is another good card.

It’s too bad cabelas has went so far down hill. It used to be my favorite store and I haven’t bought anything from them in probably a decade. There are still some brick and mortar stores that are doing well with a combo of online and in store sales such as reeds, scheels, marine general, Rogers etc. They are surviving due to solid customer service. Cabelas lost that long ago.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:02 pm

I thought it was hilarious with my discover card for many years I could take the cash back and turn $40 cash back in to $50 Cabela's gift card.

Way better deal than using the Cabela's card. Discover stopped offering the Cabela's gift cards at that discount, probably because Cabela's card owners found out they were getting ripped off

But those gift cards was how I bought my versamax lol

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”