maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

SD pheasants

Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:21 am

I've never been.

Spring snow goose hunted out there and saw a lot sw of Aberdeen is all I know. But since their season goes til end of jan and the weather is nice was halfway thinking of trying to get the dog out again

Anyone care to share any knowledge? Can you just cut across the border about anywhere and have decent hunting? Or need to hit certain areas?

Either that or try to get a couple game farm hunts in here in MN. That shiz is expensive. Was looking a bit

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: SD pheasants

Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:36 am

pm sent

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:45 am

I have a buddy that goes around Aberdeen this time of year and does okay. With the snow levels, I would plan on doing a lot of road hunting. The birds are going to be out in the open or in marginal cover like timber so they won't be holding tight.

If money didn't matter, I think I'd give SD a shot in January, although this year I would be giving Nebraska or Kansas some serious consideration as well. Even a lot of Nebraska has a sh!tload of snow right now, but KS looks pretty much snowless. Of course your getting into a longer drive but maybe less pressure. I've drove thru SD in December and been blown away amount of MN plates out pheasant hunting, but not sure what pressure will look like January with this level of snow.

Fu(k the game farm unless its for the dog. That shit is boring. Hopefully you have good luck wherever you go.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:51 pm

If you decide to go the game farm route my buddy and I may be interested to meet up to get our dogs on some birds and split the cost. My dog goes in for leg surgery early February so it’d have to be January. We both have good dogs that won’t screw up the hunt.

My coworker closed out the ND season and got all their birds but most walks required snow shoes. That sounds like way too much work for a ditch parrot if you ask me.

Good luck if you make it to SD.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:42 pm

Thanks all

Ya I just feel bad the dog didn't get out one more time. Game farm would be strictly for him I'm not a huge fan of going to them. Gfs dad was a member and we've gone a few times with him in the past just not really my speed.

Well see either one may be more than I want to spend currently I'm trying to position myself for good things this year and really want to accomplish a couple things, being cheap for a year is going to be an important part to accomplishing those goals

Well see, honestly just kinda been bored last several weeks. So was thinking about potentially doing something with him.

But maybe finally getting out ice fishing and doing some things like that will be enough to get me by this year and look at going next year

Well see appreciate it

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:46 pm

Nershi wrote:If you decide to go the game farm route my buddy and I may be interested to meet up to get our dogs on some birds and split the cost. My dog goes in for leg surgery early February so it’d have to be January. We both have good dogs that won’t screw up the hunt.

My coworker closed out the ND season and got all their birds but most walks required snow shoes. That sounds like way too much work for a ditch parrot if you ask me.

Whats wrong with the leg?

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:01 pm

Unless you get some good intel, I’d hesitate on SD right now. I have a friend in Webster and a large part of SD got coated in ice and then dumped on with snow so pheasants are hurting and hard to hunt. Cattails are snowed in, food sources hard to come by.

It’s always about the dog so I’d hit the game farm or head for Kansas.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:57 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:
Nershi wrote:If you decide to go the game farm route my buddy and I may be interested to meet up to get our dogs on some birds and split the cost. My dog goes in for leg surgery early February so it’d have to be January. We both have good dogs that won’t screw up the hunt.

Whats wrong with the leg?

I should have said legs not leg. Both back knees need surgery. Expensive bitch! She is only 4 so I don’t really have a choice short of taking her out back or having her be a house dog.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:41 pm

Dang, sorry hope all goes well!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:47 pm

Quack wrote:Unless you get some good intel, I’d hesitate on SD right now. I have a friend in Webster and a large part of SD got coated in ice and then dumped on with snow so pheasants are hurting and hard to hunt. Cattails are snowed in, food sources hard to come by.

It’s always about the dog so I’d hit the game farm or head for Kansas.

Thanks for the input. I've decided to put it at rest for this year especially with the hospital bills. Maybe next year. He loves going on a jog just as much as hunting so can't feel too bad

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”