Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Effing Ridiculous

Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:48 pm

White winged scoters. I have shot them on inland lakes and on the Great Lakes but I’m sure they are all the same birds. I believe the ones around the Great Lakes are the ones that breed around Hudson Bay. Duck meat seems to be heavily influenced by the birds diet even between the same species. Obviously the diets are probably a lot different than your ocean coastal birds so I wouldn’t be surprised if your scoters taste a lot different than the ones we shoot around here.

The meat on all of them has reminded me of rotten liver. The texture is much different than any other divers I have cleaned and they smell nasty.

I have seen old squaw but have yet to kill one. I have heard the Great Lakes old squaw are just as nasty as the scoters.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:26 pm

have yet to shoot a squaw as well. All the sea ducks i clean up here have a oceany smell to them but atleast to me its not off putting. Some of the locals in homer hate duck hunters because they say no one eats them and they just kill them for pictures, which maybe it happens but it pisses me off because they are doing everythign in their power to try to make it a trophy hunt where you can only kill 1 or 2 of each species. I love filling my freezer with them things. Probably doesnt help that we have hunted near one of them karens and when they hear us shot 75 birds in a weekend it gets their blood boiling, but f them we eat them all, except for maybe 2 or 3 that people get mounted.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:00 pm

I pan seared a very fatty buffy breast with the skin on. It smelled really bad but it tasted very good and I kept it rare so it was very juicy and tender. Didn’t make sense how the smell and taste didn’t match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Take-a-Gander
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:23 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I pan seared a very fatty buffy breast with the skin on. It smelled really bad but it tasted very good and I kept it rare so it was very juicy and tender. Didn’t make sense how the smell and taste didn’t match.

I have eaten many Ruddy’s and I agree. Cook them rare and they taste better than they smell!

FF I agree that the biggest factor contributing to the loss of game is habitat destruction, however the loss of habitat unfortunately results in the need for laws to regulate the use of the limited resources we now manage.
Fish and game are a limited resource no matter how you look at it. We as a society have no self control. Given no laws we would wipe out all the fish and game in a matter of time. I don’t like the DNR but it is a necessary evil.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:51 pm

I cook all my waterfowl rare.

Buffies and Goldie’s stink but I can make them taste good. A salt water soak for a few days helps.

Ruddies and scoters taste like rotten blood even using this method. To me anyway.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:28 pm

I was mostly joking I eat everything I shoot lol

But given the option I'd take a ribeye over wild game any day. Just being real

I like the way I cook it and everything, usually low heat on the charcoal, kabobs a lot of times medium rare. Really good

But given the choice of two things set in front of me know which way I'm going lol

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:52 pm

Is Minnesota really gonna go through with all electric vehicle sales by 2035?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:58 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Pretty crazy market hunting even existed, who wants to eat these things

No shit! Food was scarce back then....seriously.....the plow and barb-wire fence had already taken care of the bison, most other big game had also been reduced to low numbers.........

....due to wildlife departments dropping the ball and not having enough planes, crews of personnel, and money to conduct month long sting operations to ticket one family hunting their land for deer.

Oh wait, that's not right........

.......it's because there weren't any fast food places back then and people shot everything they saw to live off of.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:03 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Is Minnesota really gonna go through with all electric vehicle sales by 2035?

That’s a really good question.

I was naively optimistic that there would be a political change on election day and ever since it’s just been depressing. This state is trying to outdo California for stupidity. The nation isn’t much better.

I hope things improve but I don’t see MN getting better anytime soon.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:22 pm

Fish Felon wrote:[quote="maplelakeduckslayer"]Pretty crazy market hunting even existed, who wants to eat these things

No shit! Food was scarce back then....seriously.....the plow and barb-wire fence had already taken care of the bison, most other big game had also been reduced to low numbers.........

....due to wildlife departments dropping the ball and not having enough planes, crews of personnel, and money to conduct month long sting operations to ticket one family hunting their land for deer.

Oh wait, that's not right........

.......it's because there weren't any fast food places back then and people shot everything they saw to live off of.[/quote]
Incorrect.

Ducks were being sold in restaurants. It wasn’t for subsistence. It was MARKET hunting.

We haven’t broached laws that protect water quality, wetlands, and habitat, which is exactly the only thing you say matters.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”