Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

LeBron James

Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:03 pm

I know some here hate sports, and especially hate the NBA, and I'm not a LeBron fan.....

....but I find it nuts that he was declared the chosen one at age 16, and here is 22 years later with four rings and becoming the all-time scoring leader....and I wouldn't call him the GOAT, but there's definitely a legitimate argument he is.

I just find it fascinating that people knew he was going to be this good. I don't remember any other kid getting on the cover of S.I. in my life, and yet the one they put on the cover actually ends up being as good as all the hype predicted.

That never happens.....find it almost impossible they were able to nail this prediction this spot on.

Screenshot_20230208-175700_Chrome.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: LeBron James

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:31 pm

Wasn't Tiger predicted to be great at a pretty young age?

I don't follow basketball but I don't think LeBron will ever pass Jordan as the GOAT no matter his stats. LeBron is a dueschbag as well.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:33 pm

Lebron cucks for China.

One weird thing about Basketball is that they seem to know who will be good and who won't be at a very young age. Kobe was a sophmore in high school and people thought it was a college player coming back to beat up on little boys.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:54 pm

It would be hard to follow and be "into" basketball less than me.... but I remember when he was in highschool, a local GM dealer gifted him a hummer (back when those stupid things were all the rage with rappers and athletes) and at least then whoever governs that stuff in Ohio (highschools equivalent of NCAA) strictly prohibited players from taking bribes/gifts. Think they worked around it by maybe gifting it to his mom then...

I don't remember all the details, wouldn't have even heard about it but some college friends were talking about it and remember thinking at the time how in the world can a high school ball player be worthy of something like that?....

fast forward to today...

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:07 pm

Yeah, maybe the most amazing part is that he didn't fukc it up.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:25 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Yeah, maybe the most amazing part is that he didn't fukc it up.

Typically, this.

Another 16 yr old SI cover of this generation is Bryce Harper (baseball). He didn't **** it up, but the discussion of whether he met expectations or not is likely legitimate.

For basketball- easier to have a 5- man roster not entirely **** up your shit. Baseball, JFC, you don't have pitching or catching and it won't matter how well you perform individually.

The flame outs get lost in time.... Sean Salisbury was anointed coming out of high school for both football and basketball, ended up undrafted. No SI cover, but I don't think the media hype was quite as tuned-up in the '80s as it is now.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:35 am

A596A380-E9B6-40EE-BCC4-056769549D19.jpeg
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:45 am

emptymag wrote:
A596A380-E9B6-40EE-BCC4-056769549D19.jpeg

Tony Soprano would most definitely give a sh!t

snowsnblues
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:42 am

Lebron James=Racist POS.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:01 pm

lanyard wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:Yeah, maybe the most amazing part is that he didn't fukc it up.

Typically, this.

Another 16 yr old SI cover of this generation is Bryce Harper (baseball). He didn't **** it up, but the discussion of whether he met expectations or not is likely legitimate.

For basketball- easier to have a 5- man roster not entirely **** up your shit. Baseball, JFC, you don't have pitching or catching and it won't matter how well you perform individually.

The flame outs get lost in time.... Sean Salisbury was anointed coming out of high school for both football and basketball, ended up undrafted. No SI cover, but I don't think the media hype was quite as tuned-up in the '80s as it is now.

For that matter....Joe Mauer. I'd say he lived up to the hype and should be in the HOF, but then again I have no problem he won't be... he's very, very, very borderline. He is the greatest hitting catcher of all-time, but the second half of his career as a non-catcher was so mediocre.....the lack of any and all post season success after that unexpected run in 2002.

But hey, at least he'll always have being the ending scene in 'Moneyball.' The only time a MN sports team got to play the spoiler/villain role in a huge Hollywood blockbuster.

With Harper.......who would've ever thought the shift could be so effective to where it mitigated guys like Harper into becoming mere mortals?

I also think it helped Bryce Harper that he was flashy and from Vegas.....had he been from Iowa? Probably not getting on the cover of SI.
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”