Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Getting old

Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:29 pm

My knee has been clicking a lot the last few weeks but didn’t hurt so I didn’t think much of it. Last night I was snow blowing and out of no where it feels like I get stabbed in the knee. Didn’t slip or have anything unusual happen that lead to it. I kill the blower and hobble in the house figuring I just tweaked it and just need to rest it a minute but it doesn’t go away. Was hoping it’d be okay this morning and it still caused shooting pain if any weight is on it. I go in to see the ortho surgeon on Monday. I am pretty sure I tore my meniscus. I was supposed to fly out for a business trip Wednesday and had a couple more ice fishing trips planned in March but those won’t be happening. My dog just had ACL surgery on both her legs. Now it looks like we are both gonna be laid up with gimp knees at the same time.

I am trying to tell myself that it might be from old hockey and football knee injuries from high school but in reality I think age is just catching up with me. I’ve always said I’ll be a kid forever but I don’t think my body is on the same ride as my mind.

Anyone else feeling the affects of age creeping up on them?

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Getting old

Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:04 pm

I hear ya. Well not really. The ringing in my ears is horrible. I wear earplugs as much as possible now, wish I would’ve when I was younger.

My back hurts a lot, and my feet and my knees.

I’m not 18 anymore or 25 for that matter.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:24 pm

Definitely. I have a bad back but I’ve been doing daily stretches for several years and it has helped a ton. My job requires a lot of walking and I can’t imagine how bad I’d be doing if I had a job where I sat at a desk or stood in one place. The snowshoes definitely take a toll on the back and hips too. Always look forward to being done with them in the spring.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:26 am

I've felt better physically the past two years than I did over the previous fifteen. I feel great. My secret?

I've been to a doctor twice in the past....I dunno....twenty years. When I went in to get on meds they were shocked because I have virtually no medical records.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:25 pm

Fish Felon wrote:I've felt better physically the past two years than I did over the previous fifteen. I feel great. My secret?

I've been to a doctor twice in the past....I dunno....twenty years. When I went in to get on meds they were shocked because I have virtually no medical records.

I thought your secret health trick was speed.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:36 pm

So it took 13 years of not going to the doctor to finally feel good for 2 years?

Doctors HATE him for this one TRICK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:32 pm

I'm not getting old. I am old. :/
Some of you, wait until you are in your 60s. Handfuls of pills twice a day now. :(
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:40 pm

Sorry man sucks about the knee hopefully it's not too major and can recover fast!

I don't think mine are great. My right one feels weird sometimes like a shooting pain and almost feels "loose" I dunno how to describe it. When I installed my ac condenser 2 summers ago after kneeling working on it it hard that pain for about 2 weeks.

My stomach stuff is still the worst though for me I dunno I go back and forth if it's food related, or like a hernia or sometimes I just feel like my entire lower back/hips are loose and move around and maybe pressing on something I dunno it's weird. Every once in a while I lay on the couch in just the right position and I get a warming/tingling sensation that feels amazing travels from lower back down into the legs. Whenever this happens all the other stuff seems to clear up so it makes me curious. I can also get my right hip to pop when I contract my lower back and leg muscles it's weird

I've done much better on the food stuff to see how it impacts but it's so hard to be 100% with that.

But I'm going after it 100% this week I cut coffee out 2 weeks ago, cut out gluten and cooking oils 2 weeks ago as well. Been not drinking as much during the week but starting tonight completely giving it up outside Fri/sat. And stopped chewing tobacco for several years got back into it last summer, tonight's the last night for that as well.

Last July I felt absolutely incredible for about a month I magically dropped 10 pounds in like a week and had so much energy and drive. I was experimenting with cutting a lot of the above stuff out at the time so my hope is by doings all this I can feel that way again. After you've felt bad for so long and magically get better like that...the rush of happiness that overtook me was incredible and I just want to feel like that again more than anything in the world. This is my last stretch of trying on my own if I can't nail it down by end of the year I'm going back in

Even just dumb stuff I enjoy running with the dog. Back in Early January we ran in a snow storm and I like pulled/strained my big toe trying to keep balance I assume. I've taken time off here and there to try and rest it...we haven't run in 10 days til last night and the pain came back about 2 miles in. Hurts like a bastard

It sucks because overall I consider myself a pretty active healthy person and just have all this stuff going on

So yes long story short I feel getting older lol

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:59 pm

Nershi wrote:
Fish Felon wrote:I've felt better physically the past two years than I did over the previous fifteen. I feel great. My secret?

I thought your secret health trick was speed.

True Dat!

I had a bad back for at least seven years.....might have been closer to ten. I threw it out when I was in my late 20's after buying a double hulled foam core 14' fiberglass kayak that was made in the 1960's.....and converted into a duck skiff. It was a hell of a duck boat. I could stand on the edge without tipping it. Laying out in the rice shooting out of it was a dream.....it's edges were right at the water line.....and it was warm as shit to hunt out of. A layer of fiberglass, three inches of foam, a layer of fiberglass....meant you never felt the cold water's temperature through the hull, but it reflected your body heat marvelously.

The only downside is I hunt alone, am stubborn, and chose to drag that heavy mother trucker into all my spots....which typically mean up and down a ditch and through some thick shit to get to the water.

Once I threw my back out it was shot.....was always fearing bending over and picking heavy stuff up. 99 out of a 100 times? I lifted and was fine, but it always came with an immediate sense of relief from not having paralyzing pain shoot up my spine like an electric shock and me dropping whatever I was trying to lift.....then laying on the ground in pain until I was able to roll to something I could grab and use my upper body to pull me back up to my feet.....

[To be continued.....]
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:28 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Sorry man sucks about the knee hopefully it's not too major and can recover fast!

I don't think mine are great. My right one feels weird sometimes like a shooting pain and almost feels "loose" I dunno how to describe it. When I installed my ac condenser 2 summers ago after kneeling working on it it hard that pain for about 2 weeks.

My stomach stuff is still the worst though for me I dunno I go back and forth if it's food related, or like a hernia or sometimes I just feel like my entire lower back/hips are loose and move around and maybe pressing on something I dunno it's weird. Every once in a while I lay on the couch in just the right position and I get a warming/tingling sensation that feels amazing travels from lower back down into the legs. Whenever this happens all the other stuff seems to clear up so it makes me curious. I can also get my right hip to pop when I contract my lower back and leg muscles it's weird

I've done much better on the food stuff to see how it impacts but it's so hard to be 100% with that.

But I'm going after it 100% this week I cut coffee out 2 weeks ago, cut out gluten and cooking oils 2 weeks ago as well. Been not drinking as much during the week but starting tonight completely giving it up outside Fri/sat. And stopped chewing tobacco for several years got back into it last summer, tonight's the last night for that as well.

Last July I felt absolutely incredible for about a month I magically dropped 10 pounds in like a week and had so much energy and drive. I was experimenting with cutting a lot of the above stuff out at the time so my hope is by doings all this I can feel that way again. After you've felt bad for so long and magically get better like that...the rush of happiness that overtook me was incredible and I just want to feel like that again more than anything in the world. This is my last stretch of trying on my own if I can't nail it down by end of the year I'm going back in

Even just dumb stuff I enjoy running with the dog. Back in Early January we ran in a snow storm and I like pulled/strained my big toe trying to keep balance I assume. I've taken time off here and there to try and rest it...we haven't run in 10 days til last night and the pain came back about 2 miles in. Hurts like a bastard

It sucks because overall I consider myself a pretty active healthy person and just have all this stuff going on

So yes long story short I feel getting older lol

Well damn that makes me feel a little better about my situation. You sound like you live a healthy lifestyle. I eat well but otherwise treat my body like shit and don’t have all those problems. Good luck to you. Hope things get better.

Surgeon confirmed torn meniscus. MRI tomorrow to see what is needed and then hopefully get scheduled for surgery ASAP because the pain is getting a lot worse by the day. Good news is recovery is usually super quick so it sounds like a couple late ice fishing trip are still in the cards.

Had a sleep study follow up appointment today and I have severe sleep apnea which I have known for awhile but have been putting off. So now I’ll be starting a cpap machine soon. Yea, I’m definitely feeling old.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”