Quack
Mergie Marauder

Not to talk about ducks or hunting or anything but…

Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:44 pm

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/d ... 0617127844

I really dislike Ramsay Russell because I’m anti-guide and pro-freelance but some of his podcasts present good topics and good guests. I thought this one was really interesting and it pokes some holes in some of my theories.

Not like anyone wants to hear about anything duck related though!

63 days until TEAL OPENER!!

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Not to talk about ducks or hunting or anything but…

Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:04 am

West side of Mille Lacs along 169 was loaded with broods. Will be nice when molt is over, ducklings start flying, and start seeing birds in the air again. Evenings on the lake always better when birds are flying to roosts. Saw a 3- pack flying last night. Most I've seen at one time in past month.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:21 pm

Looks like a good topic. I’ll give a listen next time I have the windshield time to go from start to finish.

Not seeing much for broods but I ain’t in a good duck production area and we had a chit spring.

Dropping the dog off next week for a tune up. Picking her up right before teal season. Duck season will be here before we know it!

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:40 am

A few weeks ago I saw a wood duck with like 20 ducklings. Seen mallards like that but never a wood duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:40 pm

Were you close enough to see if they were woodie chicks? Hoodies are notorious to dropping eggs in other boxes.

Saw a golden eye on vermilion this year that had about 20 and at least half were hoodies . Saw a hoodie on leech one year that had to have had 40+.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:06 am

Nershi wrote:Were you close enough to see if they were woodie chicks? Hoodies are notorious to dropping eggs in other boxes.

Saw a golden eye on vermilion this year that had about 20 and at least half were hoodies . Saw a hoodie on leech one year that had to have had 40+.

Ya know they mostly looked like ducks but I really didn’t get a clear look at all of them. Didn’t even think about mergansers doing some egg dumping. This was on crystal lake in Robbinsdale.

Also, I see lots of merganser ducklings on their own. I think sometimes they don’t imprint and just go off on their own at a very young age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Saw a pic on FB from a local who got a pic of about 50, maybe even more, merganser ducklings following one hen on Lk Bemidji. Same sort of news story went viral during the plandemic.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”