Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fall fishing on the north shore

Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:15 am

Family trip to the north shore the last weekend in September. Staying just south of Beaver Bay, between Tettegouche and Splitrock. Could I catch a trout or salmon in the big lake fishing from shore? Would they be in any rivers near there? It’s obviously not the focus of the trip but I would like to bring a rod and some spoons or spinners and try a couple hours

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fall fishing on the north shore

Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:51 pm

Lake trout season closes end of September. They close it because they spawn in the fall. They do push shallower in the fall for the spawn although I think most of the fish are a little deeper than shore casting range. It is worth a shot. Find a deeper drop off on a rocky point or pier using Google earth and rip out some heavy casting spoons . Try some casts letting the spoon sink to the bottom because the fish are spawning in rocks. If you get down to two harbors the break wall is a good spot to cast from and you can get deep.

If you are bringing a boat you don’t need to go very far to get deep. I’ve seen kayaks and canoes out jigging on calm mornings. If you get out in a boat rocky reefs or points are good.

I think the steelhead run should be starting by then. They run up most of those rivers. Off chance of a coaster or king too if you head north. The pink salmon run up the temperance in the fall. They don’t taste good and aren’t that big but it can be good action because they stack in there. They all sit below the last major falls before the lake right by the campground.

I have a few buddies that are avid steelhead guys. Shoot me a message close to your trip and I should be able to get you a report.

There are resident brookies and rainbows in most of those rivers and creeks up from the lake but they are small.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fall fishing on the north shore

Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:00 am

Thanks much! Sounds like it’s at least worth bringing a rod and trying. Too short of a trip to haul a boat although I was originally thinking about bringing a canoe or kayak for inland trout fishing until I realized how far away they are.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”