Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hunting 2023

Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:52 pm

“A man's at odds to know his mind cause his mind is aught he has to know it with. He can know his heart, but he dont want to. Rightly so. Best not to look in there. It aint the heart of a creature that is bound in the way that God has set for it. You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow. A creature that can do anything. Make a machine. And a machine to make the machine. And evil that can run itself a thousand years, no need to tend it.”

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 pm

I’ve lost a lot of the blood thirst too but my hunger for venison and waterfowl replaced it and keep me going. I feel fortunate my buddy will shoot me a deer each year so I don’t have to spend time chasing them. I usually have a freezer full of fowl. Every year I enjoy the processing and cooking part more and more. It brings back the good memories of the hunts while enjoying the consumption part. Almost like the satisfaction of looking at pile pics when I was younger.

I really enjoy giving it out too. Friends and family have been very happy with the processed snow goose I have been sharing this year. My good friend is going to process 5 deer soon and we are going to do trades. It’s like the adult version of trading baseball cards.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:21 am

Anyone know if the wetlands out in West central MN filled up with water over Christmas? I was gonna take the dog out tomorrow pheasant hunting and noticed on our walk yesterday everything around home filled up even stuff that don't typically hold water. I checked observed precip maps and looks like they got even more out there than around the cities

I've got some higher stuff to walk out there but not a ton we typically walk the edges of the dried/frozen ponds wondering if I have to try and feverishly internet scout satellite maps today lol

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:52 pm

Since it’s so warm the birds will likely kinda be all over the place and I still in marginal cover. They likely won’t be really bunched up yet. Just go out there and be ready for some longer walks, the dog will still enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:49 pm

Thanks that's kinda the plan...we got several things going on this weekend so I'm not sure if I can get him out but gonna try for Sunday...hate skipping work but wanted to take him out tomorrow in case can't swing it

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 pm

Rained all day Sunday and Monday in Willmar. Eagle Lake was probably 75% open Saturday morning and about 95% open when I left yesterday. I would bet they got about 3” from Saturday night through Monday noon.

Dog needed something to do so we pretended to hunt pheasants in the rain Christmas Eve. Cattail sloughs were starting to hold standing water.

I figure an hour of poor hunting is still better mental and physical activity than any quantities of leash walking, jogging, fetching, etc. Get it while you can! I’d go to Kansas in January if I could.

Next year I’ll be hoarding my PTO for a January trip

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:47 pm

Well we didn't get anything but got a decent amount of flushes. Especially at my go to spot flushed probably 15-20 birds along that slough. Problem was the roosters were flushing pretty far out. He got right on top of a bunch of hens. And I think one rooster he actually caught for a min. I heard the flush and it was like a delayed reaction no bird got up, then 2 seconds later rooster busted out and I was completely caught off guard didn't shoot should have had that one, and then shot at another that was a fairly long shot missed him. Heard another cackling really close as we approached a tree grove, we walked in there and he never flew. Figuring he ran out we looped around and sure enough he flushed about 100 yards out as we walked up.

Was fun though he had a blast especially at that last spot with all the birds, I always save that for last because if he's tired it jacks him right back up smelling birds everywhere

I think that's the conclusion of my trips west but I may take him out New years day for a walk on my property to pull cameras down and see if we can flush anything

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:12 am

I am headed to a game farm sunday in wisconsin so i will get to shoot a couple birds. I usually do it once a year but have not the last several. It is not that exciting but breaks up the winter and its going to get cold next week so now is the time when its still 30 out. I hope to hunts snows this spring which I have not done in like 7 years. Tons of time now with my kid driving so i don't have to cart him around all over to sports anymore. Our spring break trip is mid march so i hope to hunt snow in april when the juvies show up. Then we get our new dog in May give or take a a couple weeks.

I know it is not real pheasant hunting but i really only hunt ducks so i am no purest pheasant guy.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:02 am

My father law does a 50 bird game farm hunt once a year with all his sons and son in laws. Honestly, I hate doing it. It’s so boring. But it’s free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:27 pm

Game farm hunting wrecked me for upland birds. My dad was a GM at a large company and had bird hunts lined up every year for clients and suppliers. I got to tag along and shoot birds from age 12-22. We would shoot 200-300 per day on a few fields in the morning. The guests would leave after we had lunch. Dad, me, his boss and 2-3 other employees that stuck around would go shoot another 100-150 in the afternoon.

By drinking age I’d killed 300+ birds.

I’ve killed maybe 10 wild roosters, one so my wall.

6FEE7496-62FE-4A90-B52D-0FA1BEAA246F.jpeg

95F9A9D2-6CDF-4043-8009-8C532B1CAB19.jpeg
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”