kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: Hunting 2023

Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:35 pm

Drew my first tag up here, spending 10 days up moose hunting starting sept 6th in an area that can put out some real biggins. Got an alpine black bear hunt planned for 2nd weekend of october. Should be hunting them in fields of blueberries. Chances are good I won't even hunt ducks but we will see. Maybe shoot a crane or 2 if I get luckey and get a moose early.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:39 am

I have a buddy coming from SD to hunt bears over Labor Day weekend. His kids are same age as mine so he’s bringing his family. He’s planning to come back and grouse hunt later too.

Looking forward to teal season but might only hunt the for day due to the above

NoDak upland hunt with the in-laws in October. The rest will just be around MN as much as possible. It’s nice hunting an hour or two after work.

Hopefully the pup steadies up and points good on forest and prairie birds.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:56 pm

Drink beer, hunt deer. No ****, shoot ducks.

If I get that accomplished this year: winner.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 am

bigdog wrote:Apologies, I did not mean to derail the intent of the topic.

Conversations ebb and flow....there's nothing to apologize for since really the only worst offense anyone could commit on a forum is not participating. I've always been of the mindset that anything goes, and have obviously pushed that to the limits at times. I never understood the censorship on other forums back when they were still a thing.....the whole pretending like there should be etiquette as if women and children commonly frequented duck hunting chat forums. It's never been anything other than college dudes on up, and mainly middle aged white heterosexual males. I always thought it was pretty sad that a bunch of middle aged white dudes were afraid of catering to their own demographic.

The group consensus policed itself.....when anyone clearly went over the line they always got called out and treated differently for it.

Anyways, post whatever random thoughts yiu feel like sharing whenever. Nothing bad can ever come from it.

I haven't started slowing down yet......I'm still in my prime. At 42 I'm in better shape than I was in high school. I had a bad back for seven years that was the result of an old 14' double hulled kayak I bought with a foam core. The thing was ridiculous heavy, awesome to hunt out of as a duck skiff/layout boat.....you're backside would actually warm up while laying in the thing since the 4" of foam between two thick layers of fiberglass insulated you from the water temperature. Anyways, one season of hauling that thing out of ditches and onto the roof of my SUV at that time severely fukced my back up for seven years, would have shooting pains up my spine that would be paralyzing. I was known as the liability whenever there was a need for a bunch of guys to move something big and heavy. Four years ago I fixed it and have felt great ever since. I wake up feeling great with all mobility. People are always telling me to slow down and not run but I love it....feels exhilarating to move around fast and get shit done.

I also do it because I know someday I won't be able to anymore. The less you move the quicker that happens. The worst thing you can do when a muscle has become a liability is to try your damndest to avoid using it for fear of pain. I did a short stint drain cleaning where the 150' cable on a wheel weighed 170lbs.....and you had to be able to carry it up and down narrow basement stairs....through hoarder homes, through the worst conditions for carrying a large heavy weight.

New hires apprenticed under one of the better guys out of the 15-20 sewer and drain techs for a month. Both me and the dude training me had some severe doubts if I was going to make the cut....once a day my back would give out and the guy in charge would have to carry all the shit out after a job. I was honest with telling him I had my doubts too.....the guy enjoyed working with me and took me under his wing. Dude lived off Aldrich in North....good dude.

Long story short is that pushing the limits to where I was keeled over in agonizing pain after having to drop the cables wherever I was at......eventually I built up and strengthened the muscles that I'd avoided using at all costs in total fear.....and I've never had a back issue ever since. No pain, no soreness, I can lift the shit out of anything from any angle and my back holds up like a champion. I went from having the worst back of anyone I knew to the best....and I've felt amazing ever since then.

I need to remind myself of my back as I age. Of all the trips to the chiropractor, family physician talking about nerve endings and needing surgery shit......what fixed my back to where it's better than ever?

Using it.

The human body is an amazing thing and just like with most machines....the worst thing you can do is not run it. Don't be afraid to beat the shit out of your body... it'll bounce back.

Until it can't I guess. Everything has it's limits and an ending. My cousin got shot by my brother pheasant hunting twenty years ago now.....has spent the past two decades in a wheel chair. I've tried to get him out ice fishing, open water fishing to drive the boat....and I've given up. I get it....I just hope I never reach that point, by being forced to or choosing to.

bigdog wrote:Don't post much here but appreciate those that do. Felon in particular has some impressive fishing talents, I'm a bit jealous.

Well, it's been kind of an off summer for me....after smoking a rock and bending my prop shaft. I had it in and out of the nearest marine getting fixed for over a month, but now it's back and I'm going to try and make up for lost time.

I misplaced my phone so I didn't get a pic with the limit of cats....five real nice ones, all 4-5lbs, good "stockers."

As you can see the walleyes weren't cooperating but the smallies and cats were. A guy was coming in when I was going out and told me that exact statement.....dude was spot on.....kinda rate when that happens....would've preferred him being wrong.
Screenshot_20230810-024428_Gallery.jpg
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:09 pm

It was in the low 40’s this morning when I headed out for work. Could see my breath. Fall is in the air.

Anyone seeing any teal yet?

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:29 pm

A few nice bucks under my deer stand. Never really been a big buck hunter, mostly because I’ve never had a lot of chances, but I may actually get a few this fall.

This stand is tucked back in the woods, I don’t think I’m gonna hunt it until October, probably later in the month I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:46 pm

gonna let it grow a little bit more to get the best bang for the buck.....
official sour toe member number 52,814

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:33 pm

Dandy!

Not gonna go sit on bow opener?

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:36 pm

Nice! I gotta get my cameras up