Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Hunting 2023

Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:11 pm

Anybody make it out for any of the upland openers or bow opener?

A couple buddies and I got out for a few grouse walks and shot 8. Half the birds were youngins. Must have been a really late hatch because they are about the size of a woodcock and don’t even have tail feathers yet. Never seen them that small in September. Seems like pretty good numbers this year. Lots of flushes but couldn’t get off shots at most of them.

On Saturday afternoon we walked up on a pack of wolves. As soon as the dogs got upwind of them the entire pack lit up howling. We wrangled the dogs up and stood there discussing what was the best plan to get the dogs back to the truck safe. As soon as the howling stopped we could hear them running through the woods. Never saw em cause the woods are so thick but they were within 100 yards for sure. Pretty cool experience but at the same time it’s a little concerning with dogs in the woods. They avoid people but will get territorial and go aggressively after dogs. Most years I hear about a grouse hunter having to defend his dog from a wolf up in my area. Fortunately we didn’t have to get out the shovels this time for the ole sss.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:46 pm

Good to hear. When we went up to help dad labor day we took a lil wheeler ride and flushed a decent amount. Gf mentioned maybe getting the dog up there some weekend to get after them .

Did the dogs get aggressive when they sensed the wolves? I had my dog up there before way off main trails and he got pretty protective although we never heard/seen anything just had that feeling they were around from his demeanor. He's very protective as it is and when we got way back there he was like fully outta hunting mode and more defensive...hhackles standing up etc. Was interesting to watch.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:57 am

On the Birdshot Podcast a couple weeks ago there were three interviews with people who had wolf encounters while grouse hunting. It was pretty interesting.

I took my lab to work in the woods almost every day from 2005 to 2016 and only had one encounter, luckily it ended peacefully.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:07 am

The dogs did not act aggressive but I am guessing they would have if they would have smelled them. We were upwind of the wolves so they couldn’t. They were somewhat interested in the howling but they didn’t seem to know that was the enemy making all that loud noise.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 am

Bird dog and hound dog breeds don’t really see wolves as enemy, which is why a lot of times those are the breeds that end up getting killed. They run and roam far from humans while at the same time not perceiving wolves as a threat.

Shepherding breeds naturally have a much different response to wolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:58 am

That makes sense.

It is interesting that it seems like all (or most) dogs hate bears. Must be an instinct thing.

My dog rarely barks. Two different times she has gone nuts and I went outside and sure enough yogi was strolling by on the gravel road.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:59 pm

I dunno my lab is overly protective aggressive. When he was acting weird out there I have no doubt something was close by. It wasn't t just like a smell something and be weird thing it was a smell something then pace around and look in all directions and completely forgot about hunting thing. Was just a complete out of the norm behavior for him. I. Pheasant country hell never stop running sniffing for birds. Up there he turned completely defensive vs trying to hunt. Was concerning and cool all at the same time

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:49 am

Not really related but yesterday I saw so much bear sh!+ …. If it was grizzly country I’d probably be dead now. They must have converged in this area for the acorns. Mostly huge piles but a few small piles. Didn’t see or hear any though

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Anyone get in the bow stand yet?

I’m heading out this evening finally.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:26 pm

How'd it go? I don't plan on sitting til mid Oct probably. Went and put new batteries in the cams...checked the pics from before they ran out the bigger one I had last year was alive til at least Dec 15...so hoping he's out there again this year. I didnt hunt after Thanksgiving last year so wasn't sure how long he was around after that

Was still hoping to get a couple stands up

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”