emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Teal

Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:52 pm

18E798EC-590E-485B-937C-F787302D8A67.png

Driving out to my family’s land on Saturday morning and havent gotten a pic of the buck that was hanging around for a few weeks. I get this in the way out there. The camera is about 100 yards from the wetland.

Tried to go to a public spot down the road a few miles. Had a group of guys on it. Drove around some to finish my coffee and went home.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:03 am

6337D16A-810E-4CA3-8A34-97C5AAE99BFE.jpeg

Skipped work today.

1oz #6 steel is a first for me, it killed em dead but had a few pellets in the meat. Back to #4’s.

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

recker7676
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:08 pm

I noticed iowa has a 15 day teal season. You think Minnesota could at least go 9 days through two weekends for it. Then again look how long it took to get 5 days days I guess.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:35 pm

The major holding area where I was hunting got hunted and the second day there noticeably less birds in the area. On Friday night there was 1-2k teal in on it. Sunday only a couple hundred.

Maybe we are pushing the birds south. At least we are having fun doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

recker7676
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Teal

Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:57 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:The major holding area where I was hunting got hunted and the second day there noticeably less birds in the area. On Friday night there was 1-2k teal in on it. Sunday only a couple hundred.

Had to say I wonder how many people hunt the early teal season? Never seen any numbers on that.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:24 am

I’d rather have bonus teal added on like North Dakota did.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:24 am

If you know how to identify drakes in hand you will notice most of the birds you shoot in early teal season are adult drakes. The adult males migrate this time of year and most of them will be in their wintering grounds by the time regular opener starts whether we shoot at them or not. Majority of the teal you shoot on regular opener will be females and YOY. Texas and other southern states open their teal season this weekend for that reason. I am happy we can finally get a crack at them birds that are migrating through this time of year.

I think YWD has more effect on bird movement prior to opener than teal, especially now that it is youth weekend and not youth day. I am in favor of ywd but a morning is enough. If I were king I’d do 9 days teal, ywd sunrise till noon.

I just hope MN doesn’t pull a MN and not continue early teal for at least 5 days.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:03 am

I don’t understand the youth weekend. I think it’s too much. I get it makes traveling easier and more worthwhile but I don’t agree that a dad (or mom) and his kids can’t find something fun to do the rest of the day or weekend besides duck hunt if they do travel. One less state park in western MN to check out now tho.

I’m ok with a 5 day teal season. I wouldn’t balk at 9 tho. I’m a huge bird nerd so I actually really like getting out on sloughs this early. It’s fun seeing massive flocks of swallows and martins, shore birds, etc while in the blind.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:21 pm

Glad you guys got into them!

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:58 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:

We definitely are. They may be teal...but they get the F outta Dodge when the hunting starts. They're in migration mode as it is, they aren't staying long...shooting just adds to it.

All down the flyway, the hunting really drops off after opening weekend. The only people that continue to shoot good are those that can manage the hunting pressure.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”