emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Patterning

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:11 pm

I shot some rounds at paper again the other day. Steel from 2 different chokes. I’ve done this with every gun I’ve owned. I’m starting to wonder why I do it. The last couple of years I’ve paid attention more to how far my buddies and I shoot ducks. Most die between 15-35 yards. I also consider myself an average to decent shot depending on the day. This summer shooting sporting clays they had a few stands with longer crossing shots in the 35-40 yard range. Very few guys at the club could consistently break them and I wasn’t one of them.

The better patterns I’ve got from steel mostly have 2 things in common, better patterns with a more open choke(light mod/skeet 2 is best)and velocity 1300-1500fps.

I’ve shot a lot of BOSS the last couple years also. The factory full in all but one gun shoots it best but I’m starting to wonder why it shoot it when we shoot mostly feet down birds. Price per shell is a lot more then the old federal blue box or Kent’s.

I’m almost leaning towards a IC and #4 for everything except late season divers.

What have you guys shot, seen or noticed.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Patterning

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:21 pm

I have not patterned in years. I have always run factory chokes. My mod choke is rusted in on my sbe2 otherwise I’d probably be shooting IC for everything other than big water divers and snows. Like you I shoot them close. Doubt I take many shots over 30 yards at ducks. I will reach out more for snows. Shoot 2-4’s for everything including all geese. Shot depends on the species and location. I have always shot red box federals. Can’t find those anymore and switched to rios and have been pleasantly surprised. I do not like federal blue box. Always seems like more crips.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:00 am

I haven't really patterned in a long time. I know I should but I just tell myself I shoot well enough. Not to toot my own horn but I shot 57/75 sporting clay targets and beat a group of 12 other dudes the other weekend. I also shot first first at every station which is a bit of a handicap. Does it make me gay that I'm bringing that up for no reason? Maybe.

For teal this weekend I'm using a mod choke, just a carlsons sporting clays choke. I don't feel the need to shoot Boss or Bismuth. I'm shooting ducks generally 35 and in. No need for expensive stuff for that. I'll probably use that the majority of duck season. I'll use 3's and 4's until I'm killing mostly mallards or divers, then I'll just load up on 2's. In my experience over water, geese are generally either coming in feet down, or they aren't messing with me at all. 2's and 3's will melt their faces as good as anything else at those distances. I throw some BB in my bag, but I don't kill a ton of geese so I don't try super hard to swap shells if I don't need to.

I used a Carlsons Cremator Long Range for snow geese this spring and I was smacking the hell out of them. Not sure I was really shooting past 50 too much on them. Majority were probably under 45 still.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:45 am

i havent shot paper in years. I dont do much puddle duck hunting anymore and just do the ocean sea duck stuff. I use a patternmaster code black duck, i think. Most shots are 20 yards or less except for scoters which those shots typically are out around 30 to 40 just because how they decoy in the areas we hunt. Seems i either completely miss or they are stoned. Few years ago we were out on the salt and a flock of geese flew over and did the ol, i will give them one shot and see what happens, probably at 60 to 70 yards and stoned 1, ended up being a dusky which was pretty cool. I use that same choke no matter what i am doing, trap, skeet, 5 stand, or what ever i am hunting. Hoping i get lucky and find a moose early this year so then i can go hunt cranes and geese with my buddy up in delta junction, probably bring some 2 shot and some 4 shot boss and see how the boss works on the cranes. They are pretty tough birds but i think it will work out just fine. Delta gets a crazy crane migration and when you see a couple thousand cranes starting the tornado it is an amazing experience, can hardly hear your self think with how loud they are.
official sour toe member number 52,814

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:53 am

I stoned a goose one time with an O/U and found one single BB in its head that entered just under the chin. Luckiest shot I done ever made. Most of the time dumb shots end up with a snapped wing tip and me going on a long hike to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:14 pm

Cheap lead 6's, 7.5's, or 8's through a modified do well for me.

It's funny how guys shoot what I shoot only for the summer months.....all that practice on clays only to go afield shooting totally different rounds.

If you're crushing clays with it, why switch it up?

Funny how the state requires hunters to shoot turkeys with #4, #5, or #6 shot....that's it.......yet dudes go teal hunting shooting BB's, 1's, or 2's.

Just remember....the key to shooting farther is nine parts having a denser pattern to maybe a one part of using bigger shot with more energy downrange and then praying for a single golden pellet to hit the vitals somewhere.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Patterning

Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:32 pm

Only retards shoot pellets that big at teal tbh.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:16 pm

T’s for teal!

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:17 pm

kwackkillncrew wrote:i havent shot paper in years. I dont do much puddle duck hunting anymore and just do the ocean sea duck stuff. I use a patternmaster code black duck, i think. Most shots are 20 yards or less except for scoters which those shots typically are out around 30 to 40 just because how they decoy in the areas we hunt. Seems i either completely miss or they are stoned. Few years ago we were out on the salt and a flock of geese flew over and did the ol, i will give them one shot and see what happens, probably at 60 to 70 yards and stoned 1, ended up being a dusky which was pretty cool. I use that same choke no matter what i am doing, trap, skeet, 5 stand, or what ever i am hunting. Hoping i get lucky and find a moose early this year so then i can go hunt cranes and geese with my buddy up in delta junction, probably bring some 2 shot and some 4 shot boss and see how the boss works on the cranes. They are pretty tough birds but i think it will work out just fine. Delta gets a crazy crane migration and when you see a couple thousand cranes starting the tornado it is an amazing experience, can hardly hear your self think with how loud they are.

Boss shatters through a ported choke and blows the pattern. They have slow mo video of it.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Patterning

Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:26 pm

Anyone know the beef between boss founder Brandon Cereke and Lee Kjos?

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”