maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Used Vehicle Shopping

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:54 am

I've never bought a used vehicle before so looking for some opinions or if my thought process is right.

I've had very few vehicles. I was fortunate to receive a used truck from my dad's sales guy in college I drove like 8 years and then bought a brand new F-150 in 2011 which I still have now that has 340k miles.

The way new vehicle prices have skyrocketed as of now no way I plan on buying brand new.

I don't need every "creature comfort," but I like the lariat f150 because it has leather...easier cleanup with the dog hunting etc. that's what I have now. I like the built in nav and sound system as well. Rest of the "upgrades" I don't care about

Brand new you looking at probably 65k-70k for a lariat f150

I'm looking for a 2020 with approx 40k miles which you can get now for probably 40k give or take

My thought process is... depending on the manufacture date you still have possibly a year of factory warranty.on drivetrain

You save 25k off the purchase price. For a guy like me that does a majority of the maintenance unless it's major like transmission or engine...,,25k goes a long ways. Even if you have a major repair... replacing engine for instance for 10k...you're still ahead

40k miles is probably early enough to reverse any stupid moves by the previous owners like listening to the oil life monitor

I have flexibility now and can hop on a one way flight and buy a vehicle anywhere in the country. Looking online there's a few locales significantly cheaper than buying in mn

Even factoring in finance rates on used vs new since used rates are substantially higher...money ahead

I'm driving no more than 8-10k miles a year currently so ideally with my previous experience would own this a long time

I considered buying a brand new XLT with cloth seats and just buying aftermarket leather covers but you still probably 55k plus 2k for seat covers. Still save 17,,k which pays a ton of repairs and no hassle setting it up how I want

Make sense? What do you look for when buying used?

Honestly...I don't care id keep driving this rusting out hunk of metal. I take probably 12 longer trips a year I'm willing to play Russian roulette with.

However gfs car had problems last year and absolutely hated her driving my truck into the cities for 3 weeks. We should probably have one lower mileage vehicle in the house at least

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Re: Used Vehicle Shopping

Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:58 am

If you want to look around I would look at Montana or North Dakota… less likely to be rusty and should have a block heater.

Used vehicles are a roll of the dice… but so are new ones.

I look at 80s vintage pickups and suburbans on Marketplace and drool. I would like to buy an old Burb with no rust in a few years and figure like you did… can pay for a lot of repairs compared to the cost of new.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:01 am

I’m looking right now as well.

Trying to decide if getting a cam shaft replaced on my 2011 Ram with 204k miles on it will be worth it or if I should get a new vehicle. The prices right now are just stupid. If I can get another 60k out of my truck I think it would be worth it but it’s such a gamble on an older vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:51 am

Ya it's tough choice. Luckily nthe last major repair I did was around 200k miles I put a used transmission in it...but truck was only 7 years old at that point. Since then it's all just been standard stuff with me doing 80% of the repairs. Can't go wrong when it's minor stuff like that

Good luck with the decision!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 am

Quack wrote:If you want to look around I would look at Montana or North Dakota… less likely to be rusty and should have a block heater.

Used vehicles are a roll of the dice… but so are new ones.

I look at 80s vintage pickups and suburbans on Marketplace and drool. I would like to buy an old Burb with no rust in a few years and figure like you did… can pay for a lot of repairs compared to the cost of new.

These trucks are now aluminum bodied so it's not as big a deal...but still corrosion, parts locked up etc.

I've actually noticed Florida has some of the cheapest prices...then you do away with any sort of corrosion or rust. Illinois and Ohio also have cheaper vehicles it seems but then you get the same road grime

There was one in Illinois I should have hopped in probably but started reading dealer reviews turned me off a bit

I hear ya in the older vehicles I have wanted a '95 F350 diesel for a long time or like an early 2000's excursion. But those fetch outrageous prices it's crazy

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:49 pm

3 friends have gotten f150’s out of eastern WI and the dealer would drive them to their house.

Another friend who is now passed away flew one way to Texas and drove it back.

Definitely research the dealer ship, if it sounds to good to be true….

Bought the wife a new to us used vehicle in September. Luckily it was in St. Cloud.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:02 pm

I really trust the guys at Willmar Auto. I make special trips out there to get my stuff worked on, but they don't have a ton of vehicles in their inventory.

Clown on my all you want, but I'm really considering a Fork Maverick. I don't like the mid-size pickups like Rangers or Tacomas. I'd rather just get another half ton. My wife has a 3/4 ton (she needs to make up for her husband's small pee pee), so I really don't need a big vehicle anymore.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:28 pm

Pickups are overrated. Look into vans. You can load and haul more shit in a van and it's enclosed.....no worrying about people jacking your shit out of your truck bed on hunting trips. A van stacks up for towing....power, handling, everything....it's all right there when comparing a van to a pickup. Four wheel drive is less common but if it's a must have it's out there for you, and is still a fukc ton less expensive than a pickup.

I honestly have no idea why the hell pickups are so in demand and so overpriced. I think it's mainly image. Seriously....a van with the no benches will outhaul and outperform a pickup in every category.

Price them out....freaking like forty to fifty cents to the dollar compared to a pickup. Same shit....year, engine size, miles, it's insane how much you pay for the stylistic look of a pickup. People are paying $20K for ten year old pickups with a 150,000 miles on them....shit is fukcing retarded. You can buy a van for hauling shit and hunting on the weekends, and a nice car to drive around the rest of the time for what a pickup will cost you.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:00 pm

Oh, and the best thing about vans?

The lack of computers.

None of the gay over engineered lights, safety features, back up cameras, climate controlled anus warming, vibrating seats.....that shit is for phags. Back up cameras? Why the fukc do I want or need a backup camera? Like I can't one a done a backup to my boat hitch nine out of ten times.

We were deer hunting in my brother's brand new work truck.....while going in reverse the engine kept killing and stopping the vehicle......blades of grass in the backup camera caused the safety bullshit to go off and kill the vehicle....as if we were backing into a fukcing Bentley or some little girl on a bicycle.

You couldn't give me a new pickup and pay me to drive one.....I hate every God Damn every last thing about them. If I hear one more God Damn seatbelt alarm chiming while I'm sitting shotty rolling up on something that's about to be dead in the ditch I'm getting out of the truck and turning my gun on the truck instead of the game we're after in the ditch.

Vans are the shit. You get in and go....no bullshit....no novelty bells and whistles that are wonderful if you're a dumb bitch from the suburbs who has to back up to hitch something up once every two years.

A van is for a man. No gimmicks....no frills....just an awesome vehicle that can haul a ton of shit around that's still engineered like it's the 1980's. I freaking LOVE me some manual operated windows to open. It's never been the engine that kills a vehicle, it was more so the transmission.....

....which has been replaced by computers.

Having an intricate network of wires and several hundred super conductors like there is in a modern pickup is a bad fukcing idea for our climate. All these fukcing gay sensors.....only phags need to be told they got a rear tire at 20psi and dropping. Like I don't know that shit when my vehicle is handling funny. Every Kwik Trip has an awesome free air pump that goes to the psi...if you don't have four tires equally inflated these days you don't need any sensors.....you need to find out where your balls went after getting castrated.

This chick I'm banging has a year old Toyota car....forget the model...not a prius, camry, or corolla. It needs a sensor replaced after one winter....dude at the dealership told her what happens is snow gets packed in there and ruins the sensor. Not covered under warranty.....Two grand to replace it. A **** sensor that I can't even remember what supposed significance it is supposed to serve, obviously none since she told me and it was so dumb I literally have no recollection what the fukc this sensor was supposed to sense.....but now she's got a gay check engine light but a graphic warning thing that plays on her futuristic gay ass fancy led light projected dash. I need a speedometer, gas Guage, rpm, temp, and that's it....battery is nice but a luxury.....and I need them in a simple **** dial and not some plasma screen like I want to look at my dash and see another laptop screen. Fuuuuuucccccckkkkkkin Eh!

Fukc modern vehicles...fukc 'em....they've duped normal people into paying the price of a starter home on a new pickup because it's got eight million gay features. Why would I want any of that shit? Vehicles are tools. You want them simple and practical because that means they'll usually be functional until the frame rusts out. Don't buy into their commie bullshit....you don't need a cup holder that warms or cools your beverage. If you like dropping $60K-$80K to have that shit be my guest....just realize in addition to all the time you spent to earn the money to pay for it.....you're going to most likely be spending a lot of time with semi-annual trips to the dealership. Nothing like the convenience of all those cup holders and sensors....and having to leave your truck at the dealership for a week here, a week there, all while a fukcing dork IT guy "works on" fixing your truck.

When an IT guy is who is "repairing" your new truck more often than an actual mechanic.....fukc that....peace....I'm out! I'll enjoy all my extra time rolling around fukcing off thank you very much.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Fish Felon wrote:Oh, and the best thing about vans?

The lack of computers.

None of the gay over engineered lights, safety features, back up cameras, climate controlled anus warming, vibrating seats.....that shit is for phags. Back up cameras? Why the fukc do I want or need a backup camera? Like I can't one a done a backup to my boat hitch nine out of ten times.

Been doing bodywork my entire life and fixed many vehicles with back up camera's and impact sensors, most people turn the sensors off so the they don't have to listen to em beeping and thinking most people don't look at the camera's.................
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”