Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Swans

Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:50 am

Not to far from where I hunt. Saw hundreds of swans at the end of the season so they must have stuck around with mild weather. Sick stuff.

Trumpeters and tundras were shot, found on private property near Morris
Federal wildlife authorities issue new details in west-central Minnesota case.
By Bob Timmons Star Tribune JANUARY 25, 2024 — 2:58PM
Minnesota has the most trumpeter swans of any state in the lower 48.
U.S. FISH & WILDLIFE SERVICE
Minnesota has the most trumpeter swans of any state in the lower 48.
SAVE

GIFT

LISTEN
TEXT SIZE

Federal wildlife authorities have given new details in the killing of multiple swans in west-central Minnesota, including that the birds were shot and discovered near public land protected for waterfowl.

In mid-January, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) asked for the public's help in the investigation of the birds' deaths in Stevens County, which occurred between Dec. 16 and 17, according to the agency.

The new details are the number of birds, how they were killed, and the location of their discovery:

Fifteen dead birds were found shot on private property near the intersection of 260th Street and 520th Avenue, near the southwest corner of Lamprecht Waterfowl Production Area.

The swans were a mix of trumpeters and tundras, both of which are protected by state and federal laws.

Minnesota has the highest population of trumpeter swans in the lower 48 states. A survey in the state estimated 65,000 trumpeter adults. While some head to the central U.S., trumpeter swans tend to overwinter in central and southern Minnesota where there is open water and food. Tundras are the most populous swan in North America.

Lamprecht Waterfowl Production Area (WPA) covers 250 acres and is part of Morris Wetland Management District, managed by the FWS. The district has about 250 WPAs over eight counties.

ADVERTISEMENT

The federal land is protected wetland and grassland habitat for waterfowl and other wildlife. Nearly all of the WPAs in the nation are located in the prairie pothole region that includes Minnesota, Iowa, Montana, and North and South Dakota.

The investigation into the swans' killings continues. Anyone with information should contact FWS agent Andrew Daiber at andrew_daiber@fws.gov.

Bob Timmons covers news across Minnesota's outdoors, from natural resources to recreation to wildlife.

robert.timmons@startribune.com 612-673-7899
27SHOW COMMENTS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
Recommen

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Re: Swans

Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Never hunted that particular WPA but that is def my stomping grounds. I’m sure the birds were sitting right off the road on one of the small lakes just southwest of the WPA mentioned in the article and it was a drive-by shooting.

Hopefully they get caught so they can get their slap on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

recker7676
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: Swans

Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:15 am

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Never hunted that particular WPA but that is def my stomping grounds. I’m sure the birds were sitting right off the road on one of the small lakes just southwest of the WPA mentioned in the article and it was a drive-by shooting.

Hopefully they get caught so they can get their slap on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I hunt more north of Morris a few miles but have driven by that area before. Think I hunted it once years ago when I saw a bunch of redheads on it.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Swans

Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 pm

The amount of swans on Onamia right now is disgusting. I'd love to see some bird flu kill every last one of them out there.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”