maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Winter?

Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:11 pm

Pretty incredible. Golf course by the house was open today and packed

I just hope it don't come back in spring when it's actually supposed to be nice and linger forever like last couple years

If we can keep going like this and have a normal spring...I'll take it this year after the last few pretty crappy ones

Pretty bad for getting out ice fishing but...oh well.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Winter?

Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:41 pm

Today was amazing....most pleasant, beautiful January day I think I've ever had in the North. Can't think of another one better?

Ice fishing would be great if it weren't for me struggling on the crappies this year. Not that I mind....I'll gladly take this weather over any type qualify season of ice fishing. I generally do better ice fishing in the cold years due to not having shit else to do. The last two winters? Spent a lot of time in the permanent with not much else to do and pleasantly enjoy.

I'm sure ice fishing would've been a really fun option....preferred to be roaming the woods in a long sleeve t-shirt, sunglasses, chainsaw in hand and chopping some trees. There'll be plenty of days left where in order to be comfortable I'll have to pop up the tent and sit next my sunflower and 20lbs, which ain't bad since I'm stationary......it'd be a real bitch carrying around a twenty-pounder with a sunflower on it when it's -10 out with a brisk wind and a chainsaw, also pretty pointless.....so I'll enjoy these days doing something where it's only effective/enjoyable when moving freely.

Damn, the sun felt good today!
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:40 pm

Ice fishing has been awesome this year. Good fishing and almost no one on the lakes. It’s gonna be really weird taking the atv out on February ice due to thickness concerns. Only bummer is almost no ice on superior. I didn’t want to join the gong show where it formed for a short period.

Felon buy yourself a 5 or 10 lb tank. 20’s suck to lug around.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:00 am

Guessing there e will be precipitation event, but the cold has done blowed by....

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:06 pm

I make less money when it doesn't snow since I use a tractor snow blower on the neighbors driveway and the in-laws also pay me do their driveway as well. It's their tractor and gas so its all money in and no money out for me.

Would have liked to a LITTLE bit more ice fishing. All the small lakes that guys can walk on have a ton of people on them. Lots of bros on the little lake I fished just west of Faibault last weekend.

Fly fishing will be very good in south east MN if I get the motivation to go, even tho I caught a few on the Vermillion River last weekend.

Gonna do some long range shooting this weekend, will be nice not freezing my ass off.

Anyone in the New London Spicer area see if Green has any walkable ice yet? Thinking about walking out to the first break and see what happens this weekend.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:28 pm

Isn't it now called hard water fishing, not ice fishing?

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:56 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:Isn't it now called hard water fishing, not ice fishing?

I leave terms like that youtubers and influencers.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:48 pm

I figured that was going to trigger felon but he didn't take the bait. He was ranting about "hard water" a few years ago.

Serious question: is a ice fishing influencer/youtuber a thing?

There aren't many things I despise more than ice fishing. Standing on a sheet of ice staring down a hole hoping some poor bastard comes by to bite your hook while breathing LP fumes and nearly having a seizure to the flashing lights off your vexlar. That's assuming youre sober, I'm convinced the only way someone can actually enjoy ice fishing is to fill coolers with gobs of beer and drink their mindlessness to death because there's literally no other reason to be doing what youre doing. Its no wonder we're in 2024 and there's still people that haven't figured out how not to put their truck (or this year, airplane) through the ice. Their braincells have been giving each other CPR since they started this absurd habit. The absolute best case scenario is you have some crazy action and spend 4 or 5 hours pulling in a dozen 10" crappies.....yay

The only thing I picture worse than ice fishing, is watching ice fishing on youtube. I can't believe there are icefishing influencers = day ruined

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:10 pm

There are ice fishing influencers. I used to work with one. He's around my age but he speaks Zoomer. You all would hate him.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:22 pm

whats zoomer?
official sour toe member number 52,814

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”