Quack
Mergie Marauder

Anyone knowledgeable on baseball cards?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:33 pm

I have a lot of stuff in my basement… just for transparency , there are no legendary MN H20fowlers down there… this post pertains to two of the things in my basement:

A box of baseball cards and the dream that they could be worth more than $100. I’m guessing I probably have about 500 but I really need to flip through the box and get a general idea of what I have. I’d like to get rid of them but of course have the fear of letting them go too cheap.

I’m pretty sure I have a Harmon Killebrew from the 60s, some Bo Jackson cards. Would mostly be 80s-90s

Anyone here into cards or have any recommendations? I realize that scarcity is the key to collectibles and most of us have to be the ones who pitch this $#|+ in the garbage to create scarcity for the ones who want to nerd out on it… I’m getting closer to increasing scarcity but I’d much rather get something out of the hassle of hanging onto these things this long!

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone knowledgeable on baseball cards?

Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 pm

Kinda goes hand in hand but demand is probably more important than scarcity. Even if you have something scarce but there's no demand it's worthless.

I have a bunch of cards myself from when I was a kid...paged through them during covid when I heard the market was hot in cards. Which is where the demand comes in that was probably the time to see if you had anything worthwhile...not that theres not still something there it just got crazy during that stretch when people were bored. Peeps were shooting each other to get last packs of Pokemon cards

I'm no expert but I know you gotta start by looking at comparable cards online and seeing what they going for. If you seem to have something rare/people asking a lot...you'd want to send it out to like PSA for official grading etc. An officially graded card is where the big bucks come in...and you might find out the card has an error on it or something etc that substantially increases it's value by having a professional grader go over it.

But overall odds of having true gems worth a lot are pretty rare

For instance I have a shaq rookie card I imagined would be worth some money...ya maybe $20. Unless it's a "gold" version or has other unique features it's just really not that valuable and most cards are like that. But if you see your card listed and some are cheap then there's some really expensive...you want to read the grading on why. And if your card is similar etc that's when you send it out to be graded

Good luck! One of these days when I'm bored I may look into some of them more. I kept all my "good" cards in a smaller binder and got a whole box of no names id probably chuck or put online and see if there's a kid into it who'd want them free

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:17 pm

Wow... MLDS... a true renaissance man. Is there any thing this guy doesn't know at least a little bit about?!

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:43 pm

I also looked through my cards during Covid. I threw out all the lame cards 15+ years ago.

The small stack of 30 or so cards I have was worth maybe $50 at the time and that was just going off eBay prices.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 am

Dunno if that's a dig because I don't consider myself smart in much but thanks lol

But I have a lot of time on my hands, am consistently bored, and figure trying to expand ones understanding of multiple subjects is a good use of time.

Most don't understand why I read the amount of tax code I do lol

I try to consistently expand my knowledge on subjects important to me as a means to cope I guess

Most just drink and zone out.

I drink and deep dive lol

All of a sudden I'll be zonked out my mind and be looking at satellite imagery of the marshall islands because I was reading one thing that led me to another that led me to wondering what is happening in the modern day marshall islands and if it's possible to visit etc lol

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Anyone knowledgeable on baseball cards?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:31 am

A Renaissance man is a person with knowledge in lots of areas, so it is indeed a compliment and not a dig.

I’m similar but generally not smart enough to comprehend anything past the infographic level.

I was looking at the jungles of Myanmar on google earth the other day just to see how uninhibited it looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”