emptymag
Mergie Marauder

10mm

Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:11 pm

Anyone have a 10mm pistol or jump on the new trend?

I looked for a used Glock 20 for a while, never found one. Bought a new one and close to 1000 rounds of ammo.

Recoil is a bioch / I’m weak.

Used one showed up at the local gun shop just after I bought a new one, for about half what I paid.

Plan to shoot deer with it some day.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: 10mm

Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:08 pm

Them are all rhe rage to carry for bear protection up here. Alot of the die hard wheel gun guys still give them the middle finger.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
official sour toe member number 52,814

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:34 am

I've had a Glock 20 for a while. I'm a small handed dude but I don't feel like the recoil is that bad. I don't think I'll shoot enough to ever be good enough to feel comfortable using it on a deer tho. Although I did use on a very much alive car-hit buck in the middle of the road up by Moorhead a few years back. The first shot between the eyes probably would have killed it eventually but I didn't like the way it was flopping so I ended up shooting it twice.

Honestly the 40 cal M&P Shield I had was less comfortable to shoot.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:19 pm

I've had several buddies going into brown bear country buy them, many of whom promptly sold them after. One is a die hard glock nut (combat vet & pistol guru) and hunts with it often. He's shot his fair share of game with it.

It's a security blanket for 99% of brownbear-phob's. Nobody practices, of those mentioned above all but the individual that hunts with it bought a box of ammo and called it good. Still had the same ammo when they sold it. If they did practice they went to a flat range on a sunny day and ripped off a few mags. All of whom wouldn't be able to clear the gun and make contact before they were bear scat in a real life situation. The guy that got attacked near bozeman had spray and a gun on him and still got mauled. Another two got mauled by a cat this past weekend in CA and one died.... the best defense is the 6" between your ears

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:22 pm

I used to shoot a lot. Now i shoot very little. My first 50 rounds every time would always be from holster. Sometimes I would work on accuracy at range, but I really feel like drawing and getting on target at 10 yards will be more useful than being able to hit a pop bottle at 20 yards while taking my time to aim. What the hell do I know tho, I'm not an expert in any form or fashion when it comes to pistol shooting.

I do agree the best bear defense in always using your head and awareness. The pistol is for everyone elses protection too tho, not just mine. If a bear is on a hunting/fishing partner and the bear spray fails, its nice to know I have another option. I do believe if a bear gets on me before I can get to my gun or my spray I'm probably f*cked, and even if I am able to get to either, I could still be f*cked.

I know a lot of the after action reports I read, the person who got killed blundered. Some are just bad luck, like a dude mountain biking around a corner right into a grizzly bear. But the one fella who got killed a few years back in Montana, Charles Mock I believe, was clearly moving towards a moose carcass with his camera gear when a bear got him. I dunno about you, but I'm not hanging around a moose carcass in grizzly country.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Re: RE: Re: 10mm

Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:45 pm

Mallard_maniac wrote:I've had several buddies going into brown bear country buy them, many of whom promptly sold them after. One is a die hard glock nut (combat vet & pistol guru) and hunts with it often. He's shot his fair share of game with it.

It's a security blanket for 99% of brownbear-phob's. Nobody practices, of those mentioned above all but the individual that hunts with it bought a box of ammo and called it good. Still had the same ammo when they sold it. If they did practice they went to a flat range on a sunny day and ripped off a few mags. All of whom wouldn't be able to clear the gun and make contact before they were bear scat in a real life situation. The guy that got attacked near bozeman had spray and a gun on him and still got mauled. Another two got mauled by a cat this past weekend in CA and one died.... the best defense is the 6" between your ears
That thing between your ears is most important, but at some time you could get bit even while doing what you think is the right thing. I have been around a few and haven't had much of an issue. When I go to kodiak for deer and elk, I am always a bit more nervous.

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I used to shoot a lot. Now i shoot very little. My first 50 rounds every time would always be from holster. Sometimes I would work on accuracy at range, but I really feel like drawing and getting on target at 10 yards will be more useful than being able to hit a pop bottle at 20 yards while taking my time to aim. What the hell do I know tho, I'm not an expert in any form or fashion when it comes to pistol shooting.

I do agree the best bear defense in always using your head and awareness. The pistol is for everyone elses protection too tho, not just mine. If a bear is on a hunting/fishing partner and the bear spray fails, its nice to know I have another option. I do believe if a bear gets on me before I can get to my gun or my spray I'm probably f*cked, and even if I am able to get to either, I could still be f*cked.

I know a lot of the after action reports I read, the person who got killed blundered. Some are just bad luck, like a dude mountain biking around a corner right into a grizzly bear. But the one fella who got killed a few years back in Montana, Charles Mock I believe, was clearly moving towards a moose carcass with his camera gear when a bear got him. I dunno about you, but I'm not hanging around a moose carcass in grizzly country.
Probably won't ever be hunting in griz country then eh?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:40 am

If I was in bear country I'd be shooting at any bear within range that turned towards me. Why wait until they charge? There's plenty of bears and I'd rather deal with a warden writing me a ticket than a warden dealing with my corpse.

You know my thoughts on pistols over a revolver. Give me six accurate and reliable shots with a hand cannon over fifteen with a pistol any day. I'd say you're probably going to cripple a lot of deer if you use it for hunting, but no biggie....not going to be any worse than the average bow hunter.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:09 am

kwackkillncrew wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I used to shoot a lot. Now i shoot very little. My first 50 rounds every time would always be from holster. Sometimes I would work on accuracy at range, but I really feel like drawing and getting on target at 10 yards will be more useful than being able to hit a pop bottle at 20 yards while taking my time to aim. What the hell do I know tho, I'm not an expert in any form or fashion when it comes to pistol shooting.

Probably won't ever be hunting in griz country then eh?

ha! If i'm hunting in bear country, i'll probably have a rifle and buddy with me if I'm near an animal carcass. I sure as sh!t wouldn't be hanging around one with camera equipment and not a gun. I've fished in Grizzly country, barely.

Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm

My comment wasn't meant to disparage anyone imp articular but more a mindset than anything. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger proponent of the 2A than I....

all i was getting at was

It doesn't really matter if it's permit-to-carry or carrying for bear defense nobody, and I mean nobody practices anymore to the point of what most would call fluency. If they do send rounds down range it's in absolute perfect conditions on a flat range with normal clothing and unobscured holsters. Take a poll at your next PTC class to find out how many of the students practice weekly just drawing a pistol. Then if anyone actually does raise their hand, how many of that number also goes to a range and practices scenario based training, moving while shooting, etc.... even monthly for crying out loud. My guess is most classes will have zero bait takers.

My original point to carrying a gun for bear defense (or self defense for that matter) was many will use a big gun as a means to disregard anything else that might keep you out of harms way. The mindset that "i've got a 44S&W, I'm good" is real. The more gruesome reality is youre probably not good, you almost certainly haven't even practiced drawing with all your hunting garb on enough to know what you're doing let alone practice shooting and stress management. Heck some of the more prominent bino harnesses now have holsters above or below the glass, for a horizontal draw like your going after Tupac. Look for those turds on youtube, they're all over. Most are also sponsored by sig.

same guys can be seen at walmart open carrying a 1911 but if push came to shove, wouldn't find the thumb safety if it slapped them in the face....

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”