Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Help me understand

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:32 am

Earlier this spring (late winter) my FFL was getting a really good deal on a certain shotgun through one of his distributors and I told him to order one for me. I've long been an advocate for 26'ers and have more than i need. After sept geese, 95% of my waterfowl is tight quarters, timbered ducks and a shorter barrel lends itself to a majority of what I do better than the longer counterparts. Aside from that in my upland doubles I always preferred a 26" even for late season pheasants. I didn't think much of it at the time (assumed demand probably had them all accounted for) but it took a little while for one to come in stock for him to order and eventually sell to me.

Fast fwd to earlier this week, the new cabelas summer shooting and optics catalog came to my mail box. Apparently the $25 or $50 gift cards I get each Christmas from family (that really doesn't know any better and still assumes cabelas is the pinnacle for outdoor equipment) is enough for them to send me their literature a couple times per year. I finally had a little time to sit down and thumb through it this morning. I was shocked to see literally every shotgun offered in either a 28" or 30" barrel. None offered in 26" Even the standard field guns like benelli are being offered in 28" or 30" is there that much demand for long barrels? If so why?

I would have though the opposite with advancements in non-tox ammo, more people would be gravitating to the more maneuverable and concealable shorter barrel scatter guns? In my absence of pay attention to social hunting norms did I suddenly become an elmer fudd preferring 26" to 28" or 30"?

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: Help me understand

Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:50 pm

I've always preferred a 28" or 30." Patterning wise there's nothing different from any choked barrel from around 20" and up. Wingshooting tends to be more about swinging a barrel and less about pointing a barrel. Longer barrels help that process be smooth....helps you swing out in front of a target and then keep on it after shooting, whether recovering from a miss or swinging to another target after hitting the first.

With that being said the change you speak of I'm not aware of....haven't looked at shotguns at a sporting goods store in years. The last time I did, manufacturers pretty much all offered 26" & 28" with 30" being rare.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:41 pm

Agree with the mechanics of what FF said. Most people who shoot a lot like longer barrels.

Which is not to say that people who like short barrels are wrong, they just happen to be in the minority these days. Seems like longer barrels are back in style,primarily due to clay target games.

I would bet 26” is still available in almost everything but some marketing dork decided not to put it in that catalog. Just a guess

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:37 pm

Every bird gun I’ve bought has a 26”. The ones I’ve inherited all have 28”.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”