shnelson
Mergie Marauder

What do you want to see for forums & categories?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I have some ideas already, and will have a forum structure up soon - but would like to hear what you guys want to see, or don't want to see.

NSFW section? Would be restricted by membership, no cost of course it's just something to opt into.

Multiple waterfowl forums or a single category?

Classifieds?

Area based forums? I'm wondering if starting with just North Zone, Central & South zone would be sufficient?

wildwings
Coot Commander

Re: What do you want to see for forums & categories?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:15 pm

All I ask is state your rules, state the intent, keep it simple and not to many links. IF and I say IF it takes off then expand as needed. Decide if your going to allow attacks on other users if not make sure its stated. Then we will go from here. Are you going to have multi pop up banners for money or not ?

wildwings
Coot Commander

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:16 pm

PS I liked the youtube tag option :) and the Sommer Outdoor Banners :)

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 pm

If it kicks off, some "non invasive" ads may be introduced in the future. As of yet, the hosting costs are fairly incidental, and I hate ads myself... so no immediate plans.

I think it's fair to discourage blatant company spam, but am open to subtle links back to legitimate businesses in the industry... just don't want to get that out of control.

I'm honestly a fan of as little moderation as possible but respect the desire to have a family environment, so this is where I need help determining proper direction.

Viscous attacks or harassment on other members definitely not allowed, if it's something that wouldn't be said in person without risk of gaining a shiner, I don't want to see it :D

wildwings
Coot Commander

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 am

classifieds

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:07 am

shnelson wrote:NSFW section? Multiple waterfowl forums or a single category?

I'm wondering if starting with just North Zone, Central & South zone would be sufficient?

What is NSFW? Edit--I just realized (doing the V-8 commercial hitting myself in the head thing) that is stands for Not Sfae For Work, Duh! I knew that, man oh man my memory sucks the older I get. :(

Single for now.

3 as you have it set up. I would not even worry about the early season goose as that is 6 months off to even cosnider it.

4 forums to consider:

A "Controversial Issues Forum" forum can liven up a place, but needs to stay on debating the principles Vs personal attacks (name calling) of members. Perhaps in the titles by line say " A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing politics and hot topic issues" And then do a sticky: "Rules of the forum" And 1 simple rule: "Discuss and debate all you want of the merits of a topic, but keep the personal attacks (name calling and put downs) out of it." This would set the tone.

"Conservation and Habitat" related. A by line of : "A forum dedicated to conservation issues, conservation organizations, nesting structures, restoration, etc."

"Faith-Spirituality" forum
By line of "For discussions pertaining to the spiritual things in ones life."

A "Help Forum" with the byline of : "If you have any MnFowl SITE, FORUMS, or LOGGING IN issues or general computer problems, please post them here."
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

THe CRiPPLeR
This Hen's For You

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:22 pm

I think later on a section that actually has tips and tactics would be nice. A place where a complete noob could go to find links and posts that would tell a guy how to waterfowl hunt. Sticky them so they don't have to search through a million posts to find different decoy schemes, how to call, how to scout ect ect...
Don't know if that would work well in a forum format or if you would want to stiffle post generation by having FAQ's of waterfowl forums already answered in one place.
AKA HenSlayer
If its brown its down, if it flies it..., well I cripple it

Secure huntings future, introduce someone new to the outdoors.

Jsb
Coot Commander

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

If you do a nsfw section can you make it hidden unless your age us 18+? If not I would skip it.

Definitely need a dedicated c&p section for Al!

As far as regions go, keep the 3 but maybe add a dedicated metro area?
Using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:53 am

I know this is a waterfowl website but I always enjoy reading updates about bowhunting with other guys from MN. All the other sites I am on for bowhunting there are very few MN guys.

Also ice fishing.

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:47 pm

I like what you have now. Simple and to the point. If this thing takes off add more as needed just like stated above.

I also agree with greatwhite, a place for other hunting(big game, small game, trapping?) and for fishing. Duck season is only 60 days out of the year. It would be nice to be able to get together and talk with other mn guys about different outdoors stuff.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”