dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Work boots

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:05 pm

What kind of work boots do you prefer?

I have always worn Red Wing work boots because they comfortable but for some reason it's like pulling teeth to get them to actually get them to fix your boots, and I seem to need new boots once a year and for the price you pay for redwings you think they would last longer.

Anyone have any better experiences with another boot brand? I'm considering buying Wally World boots and buying a new pair every 6 months. Still be cheaper than redwings every year.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: Work boots

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:08 pm

I have used Carharts for the last couple pairs of boots. I have really liked them. Comfortable and last as long as I would hope they would.

I thought I heard somewhere they are made by Red Wing but I could be wrong.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:15 pm

How long do they usually last for you? What's the general price range? If you don't mind answering

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:21 pm

They used to have some partnership but not anymore

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 pm

I bought Wally World boots forever and like you said, every 6 months, this last time I bought a pair of Red Wings, never paid that much for boots ever, I was told good boots are better for your body and when you get past 50 your looking for any advantage you can get........

I wont do the Wally World boots again....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

chevyobsession
Coot Commander

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm

I've always worn Worx boots by redwing. They last about a year in a fabrication shop. I now work on a cattle feedlot and I wear justin boots. They are comfy and hold up well.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

dwendt wrote:How long do they usually last for you? What's the general price range? If you don't mind answering

The ones I am wearing now I've had for going on 3.5 years. Wear them all year round pretty much every day except not every Sunday. Wear them in mud/water/snow/corn/soybeans you name it. Steel toed. Don't forsee needing new ones anytime soon.

I paid $120 back then.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:55 pm

I used to wear the RedWings Irish Setters soft soled boots, but they lasted less than a work season.
So I switched the Sears 6" Die Hards soft soles.(curently about $60 if on sale) They lasted a bit longer, but my feet hurt, especially these last few years. Last spring I went to the RW shoe store in Hopkins and bought a $170 pair of work boots. No more feet hurting at the end of the day, and they are in still fairly good condition--after 5 months I finally placed shoe goop on the toes as they finally started to wear. Sears they wore to toe area within 2 months. So obviously RW are a more long lasted exterior. And RW has like a plastic toe of some sort VS a steel toe for safety. Steel toes make for cold feet plain and simple. The plastic toe did not make for cold feet in Oct and Nov.

So all said and done, what price can a guy place on a long wearing work boot and your feet do not hurt at the end of the day?

BTW, the Mgr said all boots/shoes start to have break down as far as foot and posture support after 6 mos.
Also the 2 width sizes fits all mentality like Diehards (and other box stores) are is not good for your feet. Sears (and others) offers D and EE. If you get too narrow or too wide--you'll have poor fitting boots. RW has ALL the widths to properly fit your feet.
Something to thing about.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm

greatwhitehunter3! wrote:
dwendt wrote:How long do they usually last for you? What's the general price range? If you don't mind answering

The ones I am wearing now I've had for going on 3.5 years. Wear them all year round pretty much every day except not every Sunday. Wear them in mud/water/snow/corn/soybeans you name it. Steel toed. Don't forsee needing new ones anytime soon.

I paid $120 back then.

Cool that's what I like to hear, I figured you had mostly the same conditions as me for the most part, thanks!

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I used to wear the RedWings Irish Setters soft soled boots, but they lasted less than a work season.
So I switched the Sears 6" Die Hards soft soles.(curently about $60 if on sale) They lasted a bit longer, but my feet hurt, especially these last few years. Last spring I went to the RW shoe store in Hopkins and bought a $170 pair of work boots. No more feet hurting at the end of the day, and they are in still fairly good condition--after 5 months I finally placed shoe goop on the toes as they finally started to wear. Sears they wore to toe area within 2 months. So obviously RW are a more long lasted exterior. And RW has like a plastic toe of some sort VS a steel toe for safety. Steel toes make for cold feet plain and simple. The plastic toe did not make for cold feet in Oct and Nov.

So all said and done, what price can a guy place on a long wearing work boot and your feet do not hurt at the end of the day?

BTW, the Mgr said all boots/shoes start to have break down as far as foot and posture support after 6 mos.
Also the 2 width sizes fits all mentality like Diehards (and other box stores) are is not good for your feet. Sears (and others) offers D and EE. If you get too narrow or too wide--you'll have poor fitting boots. RW has ALL the widths to properly fit your feet.
Something to thing about.

Yeah I like the way they fit and they are comfortable for a little while.

I buy the "composite" toe is what they called it when I asked, lots warmer compared to the steel toe, I'll probably buy RW or CH boots just because I do have back and knee problems from time to time.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”