get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Is your glass half......

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 pm

......full?

Or half empty?

I've been waterfowl hunting since I was 12 back in 84 ish. I'm now almost 41. I have seen the good and bad in bird numbers, hunter numbers, as well as attitudes and actions.

I don't think from what I've seen that ducks are going to dry up anytime soon. There are changes, but each year I'm pleasantly surprised finding new areas with good bird numbers in them. It ain't always perfect or poetic hunting. But you can still get under birds with a little rooting around. Hunters were hunters when I started, and are still hunters today. I'd say with the advent of cell phones guys are a little more cautious with breaking the law. There's still law breakers today, just like there where years ago.

So much of it seems to be in ones perspective.

My dad is 80. He fell on the ice this winter and broke two ribs. He moans and groans like we young guys would. But he still keeps moving forward. Last fall he still got out and enjoyed being part of the migration. He got to become part of the fluidity of motion and flow of birds.

It seems many would rather complain about what they don't have anymore. I'm glad I still have my dad and the opportunity to hunt with him. And glad he has taught me to be thankful for what I have and been blessed to be part of.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

shnelson
Mergie Marauder

Re: Is your glass half......

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:55 pm

I agree that it's more about perspective than anything else. Some of my best days in blind were without ever touching the trigger.

It does get a bit discouraging not having anyone in the family to share tradition with though, and it seems that my closest hunting buddies are starting to get tied up in other affairs to even give waterfowl hunting a thought anymore (I guess this includes me too). But hey, there's always next season right?

WALKER
Mergie Marauder

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:36 am

get-n-birdy wrote:My dad is 80. He fell on the ice this winter and broke two ribs. He moans and groans like we young guys would. But he still keeps moving forward. Last fall he still got out and enjoyed being part of the migration. .

Kudos to you for getting your Dad out hunting. Hope I'm in good enough shape to chase a
few ducks at 80. Good job birdy

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:19 am

get-n-birdy wrote: I'm glad I still have my dad and the opportunity to hunt with him. And glad he has taught me to be thankful for what I have and been blessed to be part of.

You are so fortunate beyond words....
I hope that you have told him that.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Marshmaster
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Or....... Is your glass twice as big as it needs to be?

Marshmaster

bow-fishhunter
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

nicely put. complaining is way easier to do that say nice things. it's too bad but unfortunately it's true. way to go on taking the extra effort to say good things.
If a man speaks in the forest and there no woman is around to hear him... is he still wrong???

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:46 pm

Marshmaster wrote:Or....... Is your glass twice as big as it needs to be?

Marshmaster

This is the greatest way to describe Dennis Anderson/fowlers/the old guards take on Minnesota waterfowling.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Kudos to you for taking your dad our hunting. I'm sure that it was an experience that you will never forget.

I took my dad on his last duck hunt when he was 83. He still managed to kill a few birds with his old A-5.

My glass is becoming more half-full rather than empty. Rather than complaining about what I don't have, I have gained a greater appreciation for what I do have. Like yourself, there are some mornings that I don't pull a trigger or don't come home with a full bag limit, but that doesn't lessen my experience. I'm great-full for just being able to be out there.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Marshmaster wrote:Or....... Is your glass twice as big as it needs to be?

Marshmaster

What do you mean by that?

My glass is definitely half full. Every season I make lots of great memories and have some good hunts. Every year I'm surprised that so many guys in this state complain about there not being enough ducks.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

sd_man
Coot Commander

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 am

shnelson wrote: Some of my best days in blind were without ever touching the trigger.

I hear hammer likes touching the Trigger.

I for one am getting sick of running into d-bags waterfowl hunting. At least sitting in a tree stand I don't have to convince some pimple faced kid the land he has permission for is one section over, or watching team grind em piss off every land owner in the county to get a good pic for facebook. Maybe it's the area I hunt but running into people waterfowling is becoming increasingly negative. I still enjoy shooting ducks with my dad but its half empty for me as far as the future is concerned.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”