maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Naw I don't mind. I'm big on releasing big pike and large panfish on the lakes where it matters. But trust me it don't matter on this lake...

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Nershi wrote:[quote="Quack"]I love it when guys who fish all the time lecture people who rarely get to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a person chooses to spend less of their free time in the field or on the water does that mean that person shouldn’t care for the resource?

Nice pickle pile MLDS![/quote]

No it just means they don’t impact the resource as much as the avid angler, even if the avid releases a lot, and shouldn’t be preached to for eating fish they catch.

Fishing for eating is a natural course of nature. Many species do it.

Fishing for catch n release is perversion and ego stroking.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:16 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Naw I don't mind. I'm big on releasing big pike and large panfish on the lakes where it matters. But trust me it don't matter on this lake...

Well if it doesn’t matter maybe u can share some GPS points ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:39 pm

Just to clarify, when I say it doesn't matter I'm not bucking fishery management because I know better than the experts, I don't mean it like that. I mean it because it's a small shallow off grid lake near the cabin that could be fishless due to winter or summer kill at any given point in time. It's killed off before and will again. Obviously it bounces back and cycles, keeping a few ain't going to hurt it any more than a bad winter

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:23 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:
Thanks, where ya been stranger?

Life has been busy. I still poke in from time to time to see what you hooligans are up to.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:51 am

Quack wrote:
No it just means they don’t impact the resource as much as the avid angler, even if the avid releases a lot, and shouldn’t be preached to for eating fish they catch.

The amount of impact someone has on the fishery depends on a lot of factors. Without getting too much in to the science, a person could have a larger impact on the health of a fishery by keeping 10 large fish versus someone selectively harvesting 50 small fish. I know a lot of avid anglers that never keep any fish.

We all make decisions how to spend our free time. I have a lot of buddies that say they don't have time to fish anymore. In reality they spend their free time doing other things they enjoy. Some have them turned in to workaholics and don't have as much time to fish. Those are their choices. I could spend my free time doing a lot of other things that I enjoy. I enjoy fishing more so I pass on a lot of those things and fish instead. Those are my choices. I don't see why someone who chooses to spend less time fishing shouldn't have regard for the resource.

Some guys only go hunting on duck opener weekend. Some of those guys want to get their monies worth and shoot a lot and will sky bomb at everything within 100 yards. Is it wrong to tell those people they should reconsider how they conduct themselves in the field because they are disrespecting the resource and hurting others hunting? Or should be just stay quiet because they only choose to hunt 2 days out of the year?

Some people come off as a dick when discussing the resource and how someone's catch affects that resource. Others present it in an educational manner such as felon and personally I don't see anything wrong with that. If someone is educated on how they impact the resource and choose to continue to keep whatever they like that is their legal right. Just like it is someone's legal right to sky blast at every duck within sight the two days they hunt a year. We all make decisions and those decisions have impacts. Being educated helps people decide what decisions they are going to make.

When my old man was my age selectively harvesting fish wasn't even a thing. People kept the biggest fish they could. At some point he started releasing bigger fish species like trout and walleye as people became more aware of the importance of doing so but never really changed his ways with panfish. I became educated on the need to selectively harvest panfish and shared that science with my old man and he changed his ways. He now has his own personal slot limit because he wants to respect the resource.

As technology advances fisherman constantly are improving their abilities to catch fish making selectively harvesting fish even more important. Every tom, dick and harry has a flasher and gps map now. That technology has significantly increased catches.

Quack wrote:
Fishing for eating is a natural course of nature. Many species do it.

Fishing for catch n release is perversion and ego stroking.

Hunting is a natural course of nature. Many species do it. Is it wrong for people to pass on small bucks in hopes of harvesting them when they are larger? Is it wrong for people to selectively harvest drakes? Is it wrong for people to only harvest more desirable puddle ducks and pass on divers?

Some people use fishing to boost their ego but a majority do not. A lot of the best anglers I know don't share pictures with the world. Hell, a lot of them don't even take pictures. Is running marathons ego stroking? Golfing a lot to try to lower your strokes? You could go on and on with various hobbies. Some people will certainly use their hobbies to stroke their ego but many do not.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:35 pm

You went a little too far afield. My gripe is simple... don’t preach to a guy who’s actions aren’t affecting the resource, especially if he’s within the laws.

I could go on and on. I get the pike and sunfish science and that’s fine. But a guy who’s legally fishing once or twice a year isn’t hurting any population so don’t tell him he needs to harvest less or harvest different. Because it just doesn’t matter.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 am

It’s a cumulative effect. If lots of people that only fish a few days a year keep the wrong fish it adds up. I grew up on a lake and watched it happen. It wasn’t a few guys rapping all the big pike it was lots of guys who didn’t fish much that would come out in the summer and clean up on large pike by soaking suckers. I caught lots of nice pike when I was a little kid. Now it’s snake city.

Anyways I think we get each others opinion. Agree to disagree I guess.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:37 pm

Man there’s a lake around my hometown that was private but I snuck out there before it got turned into a county park, caught bigger bass than anywhere else in my whole life. I could catch 3 bass in one afternoon between 20-22” almost every time I went. I could on occasion catch pike in the high 20s as well.

The gate came off the access and I knew it was gonna be a wrap. First time I was out there since it was opened up, and some kids come by me with a 22” largemouth, beautiful fish. The kid asks if I have a scale, trying to decide if he should mount it or let it go. He’s got it out of the water and dropping it in the boat this whole time. Anyways, decided against mounting it and tries to release it but this thing is deader than 4 a.m. at that point and the thing just floats off, dead as sh1t.

I still catch a fair amount in 3-3.5# range, but that lake ain’t what it used to was, that’s for sure. I just knew all these folks who ain’t ever caught a 4 pound largemouth were gonna ruin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

randywatson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:39 pm

2 pages now of words. duh fuq?!

maybe you guys should just hash it out on the ice. tarps off
Women with whiskers.....that's a bummer

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”