Mallard_maniac
Mergie Marauder

Re: Post a picture you took in the last week.

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks stute, you answered probably my main questions.....
Stute Slap wrote:You could not do sear your backstraps on an indirect heat smoker. No way, no how.

I'm still having a tough time finding out which side of the fence a traeger falls on. It clearly isn't indirect like my offset, but I am sketptical I'd be able to sear meat or burgers on it also? Their website, although pretty colorful, doesn't contain alot of info on their grills themselves. Granted I only learned they existed last summer and only recently started looking hard into them.

I'm a novice smoker by all standards.... I've tampered mostly with novelty meats (jerky, smoked fish, etc...) and some ribs and feel like I can hold my own with charcoal but by no means am I an expert. I do like the thought of being able to set the temp and walking away...... my patience for smoking with offset has diminished greatly, although I still do love grilling with charcoal.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:32 am

I have other things to do and feel like I am wasting a lot of my limited energy on this but from what I can tell ALL traegers are indirect heat. It appears every one of their "grills" have a drip tray under the "grilling" rack which also acts as a heat blocking mechanism.

To answer your questions: from what I see - the treager falls on the side of a smoker/you will NOT be able to sear on it (unless you could remove the drip tray - again, I don't know much about Treager. They are a "budget" brand, which is fine.

If you want to grill, sear, or charbroil you need a direct heat source. There are companies that make grill/smokers and do both amazingly well. I have the FAST EDDy's pg500 and I can highly recommend their products.

Not sure what else I can tell you, take my advice or learn the hard way like I did.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:43 am

Like I said, I've never used one, just going by what he said, and he loves his, he's going to be here shortly to cut some glass out for me, I will quiz him on it.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:03 am

meanwhile, back to the original topic....

Strutting and then the 25 caused a traffic jam this morning.
Attachments
Strutting 3-17-16.jpg
Traffic jam 3-17-16.jpg
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:39 pm

last message on the Traeger, he just told me he heats his Traeger to 425 (highest setting) and throws steak on, gets good searing and grille markings he says, best steak he's ever had he said.....
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:08 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:meanwhile, back to the original topic....

Strutting and then the 25 caused a traffic jam this morning.

Nothing annoys me more than people stopping for animals. Slowly go through them they will move. I love tapped a Goose last year the look on the people's faces in other vehicles was priceless

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:19 pm

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160317/0a34035f87c9ecf56dbf85a945519f27.jpg[/IMG]

30" laker from the Denali hwy

Sent while partying

kwackkillncrew
Sour Toe Connoisseur

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:19 pm

30" laker from the Denali hwy

Sent while partying
official sour toe member number 52,814

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:40 am

^^^ A very nice photo! Well done!
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”