h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fawns are being born.

Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Today in Minnetonka I saw a wet fawn and the doe licking it as it was standing woobly legged. I assume that is was just born today.

Many geese and a few ducklings were being born this last week around here too.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: Fawns are being born.

Fri May 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Time to dust off the mag deuce deuce out at the orchard again.

Yankee by the grace of god
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 am

I came across one last weekend while out turkey hunting. I almost stepped on it walking back to our cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Getting them on camera and saw a couple in the last week.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Sat May 31, 2014 10:08 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Awesome pic!
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 pm

Nice photo, (2 thumbs up).

Rite of late spring: whitetail fawn-drop 2014
Tony Peterson Blog, MN Outdoor News
June 10, 2014
photo: http://www.outdoornews.com/June-2014/Ri ... drop-2014/

If keep an eye out, you’ll notice newborn fawns prancing around the landscape this time of year. The timing of their births is proof that the peak breeding stage of the rut occurs at the same time every fall.

If keep an eye out, you’ll notice newborn fawns prancing around the landscape this time of year. The timing of their births is proof that the peak breeding stage of the rut occurs at the same time every fall.

The gestation period for whitetail does is approximately 200 days, or about six and a half months. Right now, if you pay attention to the landscape, you’ll see newborn fawns trotting behind their mothers all over the place. My first fawn sighting occurred maybe 10 days ago and since then I’ve seen several.

Laying eyes on the first fawns of the year always causes me to reflect on whitetails as a species, and that naturally tends to prompt thoughts of hunting them, too. Although it’s easy to forget, I can recall speculation from fellow hunters throughout the fall on just when the rut will occur, or more importantly, peak. I used to be among that camp until a woman who owns a large herd of captive deer took me to task over my opinions during a phone call several years ago. The gist of her rundown of me was that the rut takes place during the same time every single year no matter what the weather, lunar phase, or barometric pressure is doing.

She was right, of course. Those wobbly legged, spotted youngsters hit the ground at the same time each spring, which pretty much proves that the conception dates occurred at nearly the same time 200 days previous. This simultaneous drop is beneficial for a few reasons. First off, that many newborns in the woods ensures that predators won’t get them all. The survival rate varies for a variety of reasons, and tends to drop significantly in places with high bear densities, but overall the strategy is sound. Secondly, if you watch any deer saunter through the woods right now you’ll see them browsing on a variety of fresh growth. At no time of the year do deer have more to eat than right now.

While the timing of fawn births has been spot-on (pun intended), one thing I have noticed is that I haven’t seen a single set of twins yet. In my area of Minnesota twinning is very common. Either I’m just missing those does with twins, or Mother Nature in the form of a long, hard winter, stepped in and cut down the number that many does were carrying. This has me curious, and should become more evident as summer progresses.

Stute Slap
Mergie Marauder

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I hit my first deer a couple days ago, luckily it was a new born fawn following right behind a doe.

I was pissed because I was driving my new truck that day and out of instinct locked up the tires for a split second causing unnecessary wear.

Great thing was it didn't even hit the bumper, just went right under the truck. Barely felt a thing. (that's what she said)

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Image Image

That post is kind of like seeing a steamer on the coffee table in the living room.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:58 pm

Stute Slap wrote:I hit my first deer a couple days ago, luckily it was a new born fawn following right behind a doe.

I was pissed because I was driving my new truck that day and out of instinct locked up the tires for a split second causing unnecessary wear.

Great thing was it didn't even hit the bumper, just went right under the truck. Barely felt a thing. (that's what she said)

Great job!

It's not every day we're lucky enough to run over a deer with no damage done to our ride.

I should be driving around more.
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “MNFOWL's Misguided Children”