Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Re: South vs SE zone split

Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:11 pm

[Text Removed by Moderator]. h2ofwlr, I don't know why you keep trying to inform us of his opinion when you're the only one that cares.

What change is he talking about? The way I see it it's about the same; closed 2 out of the first 3 weeks. It's not like they made some big change from last year.

Typical MWHA back peddling based off of hunters opinions...just like they did in regards to BOTH teal proposals. They are never proactively in front of any of these issues fighting for hunters.

So quit bringing them up.

As far as the SE zone, I'm with Hansen; keep it simple and delineate the zone with hwy 52. I tip my cap to the DNR for implementing zones and splits and for trying new management strategies but this one is a dud. Eliminate the 'South zone' in favor of a 'River zone.' It's what people want and it makes the most sense.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I emailed Steve Cordt he said:
- They talked about a SE zone but thought there would be too much hunting pressure when everything else is closed. True.
- The zones are set at 5 year chunks so no changes until 2016.
- There were only 2 zone for a few years but added the 3rd recently.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Hansen wrote:I emailed Steve Cordt he said:
- They talked about a SE zone but thought there would be too much hunting pressure when everything else is closed. True.

I'd say that is false.

It'd be the same pressure as it is now. It's not like you're spreading pressure across the rest of the south zone when the river is pretty much the only spot open. Most guys have hung it up at that point anyway.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Fish Felon wrote:
Hansen wrote:I emailed Steve Cordt he said:

I'd say that is false.

It'd be the same pressure as it is now. It's not like you're spreading pressure across the rest of the south zone when the river is pretty much the only spot open. Most guys have hung it up at that point anyway.

It's the same thoughts some guys had about having splits... "Well now there's going to be to much pressure in the north zone when all the oter zones are closed blah blah blah", it's a nice little theory but it doesn't occur in real life.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Everywhere the river is huntable, it is crowded.

The fact is, most hunters will not stray far from the house/cabin. Even more are afraid of the river. And it's probably a good thing. Idiots with 2 horsepower motors will have recue crews working non stop!
Dominate The Skies.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:29 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Everywhere the river is huntable, it is crowded.

The fact is, most hunters will not stray far from the house/cabin. Even more are afraid of the river. And it's probably a good thing. Idiots with 2 horsepower motors will have recue crews working non stop!

I have a 3hp on a canoe. 2 dozen mallards, 3 teal, 5 woodducks (3 don't have strings), 8 bluebills, and 3 goose butts. Do you think i could shoot ducks on the river? And do you know any good spots? I'll be taking my grandpa.

But I agree with what you said. I've never hunted it bc te only time I even think about it is in December, I have no idea where it's legal, no clue of the depths, so I stay away. I'm scared.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:37 pm

The river sucks.......stay away.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Kind of like lake Geneva, eh?
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Band Collector
Coot Commander

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Geneva has been takin over bye Citiots. Sad really..

NitroZ9 Duck Killin
No longer welcome here.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Yep thinking of selling my property on Geneva.

Too many 612ers, 952ers and 651ers hunting it now.

It is the single greatest waterfowl lake on Wednesdays in November.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”