Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Johnsd16
Coot Commander

Re: Hunting Nebraska - Who has done it?

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 pm

One issue is the platte is super shallow. We used to hunt by Odessa, and you could walk across the whole thing in knee boots. So I'm not sure if dropping a canoe in from the road and floating down is really an option. Is is shallow most places from what I can tell and there's no "cover" in a lot of it either, without being on dry groud. Tons of birds though. I've shot into mallard tonados there on the platte that would rival about any snow goose tornado's to decoys I've seen, massive flocks of mallards coming back in to the river to grit/water around 10-11 am. It was great while we were in college, we could get hammered and wake up late and still get into the ducks.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 am

^^^ I like the strategy.... miss those days :-)

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 am

Freelance

Pretty sure there water laws are way different. They own the land underneath the water. Decoy weights touching ground is trespassing.

Hunted Nebraska the day after Christmas for a week the last two years. Great time and always great looking birds

Harold Houck
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:06 am

I have ... hunted Niobrara for few years, it can be feast or famine you have to know where to go. A few laws, boundries, Indian land etc. Im in ... if your serious.
Harold Houck
Midwest Outboard
midwestoutboard@gmail.com
http://www.midwestoutboard.com
651-276-6988

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am

Trigger wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I lived down there for a fall and did some hunting. Wouldn't call myself an expert my any stretch tho. The areas I would recommend are the Sand Hills and the Rainwater Basins. I think the Niobrara river is really good as well and doesn't have much pressure because of how far in the boonies it is, and its also really pretty in that area so it could make for some dramatic hunts.

I've been talking about going and hunting the Valentine area because I have a buddy who lives down that way for years but haven't gotten the time to do it.

Any insight to the water access laws?

I really don't, sorry, but I'm pretty sure like someone else said he laws are way different. I was a lot younger when I was down there and still pretty new at duck hunting. I hunted all public land except for fields a handful of times. Did have some pretty good hunts tho in the NE part of the state.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Yes I have in diff. spots one you hunt the river like your home water the other is field hunting but the terrain is hilly ( need 2 rigs to scout)
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Shu
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Heard from a friend that not much water there and what's left is froze up. Rainwater Basin area

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Nebraska doesn't have magical water; rainwater basin, sandhills by Valentine, etc., are all shallow wetlands and will freeze just like they do here. Their rivers, just like our rivers, will stay open later.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Better go to Missouri. That place is the bomb I hear.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”