Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Re: Anyone Witness "The Big Push" Yet?

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:54 am

longtimer wrote:We never got a big push this year, and it was slow most all the season. Hunted yesterday in the snowstorm and did scratch out a couple, ringer and Susie, but only saw 7 ducks. Lakes froze up now, so seasons over for me.

Looks like it will be the year that never happened for me. Came home from South Dakota yesterderday as most everything was froze except really big water. Probably could of hunted yesterday but side roads were not in good shape and not worth getting stuck in snow drifts. Hunted Monday in the blizzard for a few hours . Had to walk in a very small field spread since you could not drive into the fields. Very poor results and saw some migration but nothing was stopping. Had to walk through four foot drifts in the ditch to get to the road. The few days before we did tons of driving and found ducks here and there but not concentrations that would get you excited.Talked to on one guy who said if you did find a field feed you would have four or five groups of hunters all watching them. Said he asked permission at one farm and had been the third person that day to ask. Been going for over 20 years and this was by far the worst year and lowest duck numbers we have ever seen. Bluebills have not come through our area in three years now. I normally get excited about hunting the river now but with four weekends left I think even the river will be done by this weekend with the brutal cold. I guess she probably done.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Most who live in Minnesota know two things, winter is either here, or almost here.

The rest think there's some grand opportunity for the majority of the states hunters to kill huge flights of mallards from mid November to December 6th. Lots of luck to the 14 guys who have great opportunities to kill mallards the rest of the year. But it is a singular tiny kernel of corn, compared to the rest of the migration.

I won't deny there's some opportunity to kill birds late into the year. But when you boil it down to actual bird numbers and the minuscule habitat they reside in, it holds no opportunity for 99% of the states waterfowl hunters, compared to late September through the end of October.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 pm

If I had a SD non resident license I would be in SD right now. The ducks are retarded.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Most who live in Minnesota know two things, winter is either here, or almost here.

The rest think there's some grand opportunity for the majority of the states hunters to kill huge flights of mallards from mid November to December 6th. Lots of luck to the 14 guys who have great opportunities to kill mallards the rest of the year. But it is a singular tiny kernel of corn, compared to the rest of the migration.

I won't deny there's some opportunity to kill birds late into the year. But when you boil it down to actual bird numbers and the minuscule habitat they reside in, it holds no opportunity for 99% of the states waterfowl hunters, compared to late September through the end of October.

Truth!!!
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:44 am

tornadochaser wrote:If I had a SD non resident license I would be in SD right now. The ducks are retarded.

From what I've been reading is there's not much.

your mom...
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:03 pm

tornadochaser wrote:If I had a SD non resident license I would be in SD right now. The ducks are retarded.

In a normal year I would go back this weekend but with -11 below tonight I think its a waste of time.

Waterfowl Estimates for Sand Lake NWR - 11/12/2014

Canada Geese - 1600

Snow Geese - 6000

Ducks - 8500

Swans - 25

Waterfowl numbers peaked on the refuge over the past weekend, but numbers quickly dropped with the winter storm that passed through the area on Sunday night and Monday. Sand Lake received about 4 inches of snow from this storm. Both Mud Lake and Sand Lake were mostly frozen over on Tuesday. Today there are only several small open water areas on Sand Lake.

Temperatures are predicted to drop to 11 degrees below zero tomorrow night and highs are only predicted to be in the teens for the next several days.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Bailey wrote:

In a normal year I would go back this weekend but with -11 below tonight I think its a waste of time.

Waterfowl Estimates for Sand Lake NWR - 11/12/2014

Canada Geese - 1600

Snow Geese - 6000

Ducks - 8500

Swans - 25

Waterfowl numbers peaked on the refuge over the past weekend, but numbers quickly dropped with the winter storm that passed through the area on Sunday night and Monday. Sand Lake received about 4 inches of snow from this storm. Both Mud Lake and Sand Lake were mostly frozen over on Tuesday. Today there are only several small open water areas on Sand Lake.

Temperatures are predicted to drop to 11 degrees below zero tomorrow night and highs are only predicted to be in the teens for the next several days.

You sound like you know more than people who live there, all compliments of the internet. Are you related to fouler?
Dominate The Skies.

Fish Felon
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm

^^^at least he isn't posting a report from a week ago like h2ofwlr. This report, albeit not great, does have some relevance.
Hate Speech is Free Speech
"Ogaa-Gichi-Manidoo"

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Well actually most of the information I have is coming from buddies who live in South Dakota and have been scouting. The Sand Lake count is just an example of what I have been told has happened. There are pockets of birds but they are few and far between. It’s also getting brutally cold so most if not all open water will done after tonight- so I am told. Those are not my words mind you!

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:19 pm

I have 2 good buddy's who have been shooting 6 man limits of mallards in SD. that said they are putting HUGE miles on and never able to hit the same field twice. Each there own because I like a diff. type of green head. Goldeneyes are what I wait all year for and I am loving this weather and migration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”