Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Re: WI Teal Season Summary

Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:Saying ducks do not get decoy shy is a far more ignorant statement than claiming an early teal season could have a negative affect on the regular duck opener.

I didn't say they didn't. I said it's a BS excuse not to have a teal season. But not for one second am I going to believe they are decoy shy on regular opener several weeks after the teal season has closed.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:28 am

Kinda sounded like you were saying birds being decoy shy in general was stupid. Then bashed MNBoarder for having experienced it first hand while you poured another and let us know you really want a teal season.

Just sayin'. :-)

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

Bullet21XD wrote:Saying ducks do not get decoy shy is a far more ignorant statement than claiming an early teal season could have a negative affect on the regular duck opener.

Hard to know if birds are "decoy shy" when your average shot doesn't even flare birds.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:43 am

Nope. Just talking about birds that were probably not even shot at, or very rarely, and had several weeks of rest before the regular opener. I hunted Iowas regular opener this year, and I can assure you the birds were not decoy shy.

I'll listen to the decoy shy complaint if you're hunting refuge birds or ducks that have been staging for a while. But not birds in early October.

How come no one uses decoy shy birds as a reason to do away with the second opener after the south zone split?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm

I've never seen a decoy shy teal.
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Big Doe Hunter
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:35 pm

mnborder wrote:Yes they are. Nw Iowa has a very good number of mallards, pintail and wood ducks that nest. I pray teal season is gone. You guys will see, if you dont live in a area that ducks nest its great, if you do its the f-ing plague. Oh and to the teal season talk, shooting at sunrise made teal season wasted days if hunting. The majority of tbe teal fly in that 1st light window, waiting a half hour after that made it pointless. 3 teal a group was about average, and it destroyed duck hunting opener. 3 teal a day average worth it guys???? Dont do it

Sounds like an Ioweign that doesn't want MN to have a teal season so he can keep shooting our ducks!
get-n-birdy wrote:Remember, just because it's not legal doesn't mean you can't do it, there's just a fee if you get caught.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Big Doe Hunter wrote:I've never seen a decoy shy teal.

Apparently you're ignorant then. But neither have I.

ducksmuggler
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:51 pm

decoy shy IMO is a term used by hunters that are to lazy to step up their game.
You can bad mouth a mans gun, his shooting, and his women but bad mouth his dog them's fighting words.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:52 pm

That's almost the exact defination!
Dominate The Skies.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Bullet21XD wrote:That's almost the exact defination!

Outside of openers, I just quit hunting places that have other hunters and that pretty much took care of the decoy shy duck problem.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”