Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Re: Avian X Teal

Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 am

get-n-birdy wrote:
lanyard wrote:Seems there is a faction in this great nation of ours that can only measure the productive elements of society in a manner consistent with direct labor, regardless of how productive that labor is or isn't. Such that, if applied in on sense, a person that spends a lot of time reading, studying, and then regurgitating what they read or studies, is somehow more productive than anyone that might give similar attention to original thought and creativity.

*Ahem*, the Preacher knowing more Bible verses does not equal the Preacher being more versed in the Bible, so to speak.

So what you're saying is, sometimes, some educated work, is not really work or educated, effective, efficient, useful work, even though it is portrayed and scripted to seem as such?

Nah bro~ I'm saying that regurgitating other people's thoughts/ideas isn't actual knowledge. Getting "A" a like all the other good boys might only mean you C&P your way through a test. It doesn't require rigor or thought. Seeking alternatives to established knowledge is often riskier, and you are less likely to get an "A". I tend to think the good followers judge others based on their agreement/disagreement with establishment. It always cracks me up to see those people change their position to whatever the NEW establishment doctrine becomes.

DA did it a couple weeks in his article on C&R Bass Season: the same logic in comparing MN bass to WI bass is the same logic proponents of early teal in MN have done. Fouler does it every week with some C&P and odd authoritarian vibe (see: Free Pine Woodduck Houses thread).

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.
“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”

What Nick discovers on this reflection is that critical thought is a necessary part of the human element and it is quite different than criticism~ for those that are often held up as the standard of success are the least admirable. Where Jay fell short in his methods of achieving success he was more pure of heart, and where Daisy and Tom, who defined traditional success, were incapable of embracing a broader world view and willing to leave others to clean up their messes.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 27, 2015 4:30 pm

lanyard wrote:See, but you need an "early spread" so you can get more in a bag. Decoys are a numbers game. 1 doz mallard vs 2 doz teal.

For early season I highly recommend an "Alt J" spread, so it looks like two "Js" back-to-back making a double hook with two landing pockets.

It plays the wind variability often associated with late summer/early fall weather, particularly on shallower bodies of water.

One time, back '88, me and Darnell Thornton (he was a 2nd cousin to Nash Buckingham), used this very patter down on the Olopatagatchee Flats hunting out of the The Bill Collector's place. Back then, there wasn't much for modern conveniences such as roads and cell phones, so we had to walk and "hump" in.

Anyway, this piece of property commonly had more teal early season than any other in the flyway. A combination of duck potato, celery, and some umbrella nut made a virtual duck gumbo. The trick though, because it was such an expanse, was to get those birds within 70 yards. Now remember, this was the tail end of the lead days, and for those that don't know what lead could do... whooooeeee! You never seen ducks drop from the sky. It was like they heard the *bang!* and just give up trying.

Anyway, this expanse was known for for heating up quick on the water and slow against the shore. The tules out in the middle were too thing and short for any sort of blind, so we hunted from shore. But that heating/cooling cycle would cause sort of a multiple vortexesicies with the wind, blowing from the left sometimes, from the right other times, then as the sun rose higher, the rising air in the middle would pull the cool air from the shade, making a perfect wind for the ducks to come into~ 'specially when the got that hunger for the umbrella nut.

Now, if you've ever seen a duck in umbrella nut you know it's like busting down the doors of an opium den... they just don't move much, so as to when they set in for umbrella nut you can walk right up on them. What we'd do is get that first batch to land and get to feeding, then after a bit take careful aim and take one shot per flock so we wouldn't spook all those birds feeding in our decoys. They'd just look up, see there buddy wasn't looking so good, and go back to feeding.

We'd wait until we got 3/4 of our limit, then lay down a couple salvos across the marsh to rake the last of our limit, pick-up and be gone. All in, 'bout a half-hour.

And I'm pretty sure it's all because of the "Alt J" decoy pattern and using lots of small decoys.

If it wasn't for these forums for you to get your writing fix in, I bet I would own several books that you wrote by now. The internet has stolen the words of some fine story tellers.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 27, 2015 4:31 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:You have way too much time on your hands....

Did anyone else laugh for a while after reading this gem?
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Wed May 27, 2015 9:30 pm

Trigger wrote:
h2ofwlr wrote:You have way too much time on your hands....

Did anyone else laugh for a while after reading this gem?

Pot meet kettle?
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”