Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Re: If you ever wanted to hunt Canada, now it the time

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:36 am

The not needing the Yellow card is news to me. Must be a recent development. And no I have not been up in 8 years time, the economy and health issues insured that.

But ummm. Yes on planning a trip if tight on money, as not everyone has disposable $ like some on here do. Back in the early 90s the hunters started to come back to ND, it was to the point of damned near impossible to get a motel within 50 miles of where I hunted, not to mention the hunting pressure, i was literally hunting within 3 miles of the US/CAN border. At times 100yds south of it to access fresh arriving birds. Well the CAND plummeted, so basically the gas was the same price, and as you know, food, etc is a bit more in CAN too, so with the devalued CAND it was a wash to hunt Canada VS ND. I had some good trips up there. until of course the G/Os and stupid rich Americans paying them $500 a day moved into the region and took all the pea and feed fields. But there are still places to hunt if you scout enough. Being able to move until you find the birds (lots of scouting which = lots of fuel $) is the key to freelancing. But anyways, if person has a limited income or budget and wanted to go, with the devalued CAND now is the time to head up there. If 2 guys got together, it'd cost them less than $1,000 each for a 1 week trip.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:43 am

shnelson wrote:Seriously Al, where are you getting all of this apparent "first hand" information from?

I looked it up on the US customs website a couple of months back, it said passport or a pass card and I think a Nexed card was Ok too. (what ever the hell those last 2 are ) :?

Maybe they loosened it up recently, I don't know, but after 9/11 they clamped down hard to get back in and a DL and BC did not cut it.

And this is also why I mentioned that guys going to and from Canada should chime in with latest info.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:34 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Maybe they loosened it up recently, I don't know, but after 9/11 they clamped down hard to get back in and a DL and BC did not cut it.

Wrong again. Maybe for Canadians heading to the US but not for US citizens. You should just give up on this thread big guy.

get-n-birdy
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Just don't bring ammo for your spud gun, you have to get your spud ammo up there.
DENNIS ANDERSON, Then, about five years ago, in 2020, there were no more ducks in the state,

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:52 pm

get-n-birdy wrote:Just don't bring ammo for your spud gun, you have to get your spud ammo up there.

Haha good stuff

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:38 am

I cross the border a dozen times a year. I was fully under the impression, based on conversations with Canadian customs that you do need a passport, but am willing to accept that as being wrong.

Passport cards= cheaper. Land and water travel only to Canada/mexico, no need for a regular passport

RABC (Remote Area Border Crossing Permit) allows you to cross whenever and where ever you wish without stopping at customs... assuming there isn't an open customs along your route. Background check required. Good for getting into Canada only.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:40 am

Nershi wrote:
get-n-birdy wrote:Just don't bring ammo for your spud gun, you have to get your spud ammo up there.

Haha good stuff

Pretty sure those are legal now. As of my last trip in June, uncooked eggs and chicken might get you turned around though.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:29 am

The above reminds me of when was denied entry into CA for having nightcrawlers with me, the year was when there was a Boise Cascade strike at Intl Falls and the scabs from GA showed up to built a major addition to the mill. Has to be at least 20 years ago now, maybe even 25 years ago. ON CND customs could be real jerks. MB and SK never were to me/us.

Nershi, after 9/11 they did indeed change the requirements to get into the US, it had to be a passport as I had to get one. A DL and BC did not cut it. This was about 12-13 years ago when I was forced to get a passport per the new US rules. CDN customs did not require a passport to get into Canada.

Anyway, I just did a little checking is seems that an "enhanced DL" can now be used to get into the US. Here is the key, what in the world is an enhance DL VS a regular DL that we get? Seems like another hoop to jump through.... :roll:

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:07 am

h2ofwlr wrote:Nershi, after 9/11 they did indeed change the requirements to get into the US, it had to be a passport as I had to get one. A DL and BC did not cut it. This was about 12-13 years ago when I was forced to get a passport per the new US rules. CDN customs did not require a passport to get into Canada.

When I talked with the US customs the lady said they've never been required for US citizens re-entering the US but they do suggest having one.

Kind of beating a dead horse here. Point is, you make chit up when you have no idea what you are talking about.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:56 am

i did NOT "make chit up". So you are basing your stance on 1 employee VS the official stance of the US Customs policy at that time? So who is really making "chit up"?

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”