Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
lanyard
Mergie Marauder

New birds

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 pm

The coots are moving in.

Red heads being spotted, ringers to boot.

Multiple flocks of new gulls.

Alex to Fergus, I-94 corridor

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: New birds

Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:48 am

Hope some of those redheads stick around for the after split opener. On the lake we got the camper by Alex the last 4 years the number of ringers that nest around it have tripled.

Hell we even got ringers nesting in the ponds in the mn river bottom around home now.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:37 pm

That seems a little early for the Reds, but I'll take it.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:32 pm

The reds aren't going anywhere. Just the first was wave.

Red head numbers are up. Hearing the same in MI and from the East coast. Reds are becoming a primary part of bags the last few years in traditional diver waters.

I've shot scaup on opener MN.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:41 am

Molt migration on Saturday. Reds along with Cans migrate early, should be an awesome opener.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Hansen wrote:Molt migration on Saturday. Reds along with Cans migrate early, should be an awesome opener.

Majority of the bag for 11 guys in camp was ringneck and BWT.

1 can, 2 red heads, 1 buffie, 1 wood duck, a couple mallards and a smattering of GWT.

Some hunted big water, others medium sized WPAs.

Sounds like the Browns Valley/Graceville area still really dry with some groups finding dry sloughs.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:18 am

I was surprised by the lack of coots in N MN. Usually they are thick by opener. Not complaining. BWT numbers were very low, thanks Landwher, but it sounds like numbers were pretty good in S MN. Most of our bags was ringers with a few random puddlers mixed in.

Was anyone out after the weekend to see if this system pushed in any freshies?

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New birds

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:36 am

Nershi wrote:I was surprised by the lack of coots in N MN. Usually they are thick by opener. Not complaining. BWT numbers were very low, thanks Landwher, but it sounds like numbers were pretty good in S MN. Most of our bags was ringers with a few random puddlers mixed in.

Was anyone out after the weekend to see if this system pushed in any freshies?

Bwt were hit or miss down here with no big numbers if you found some. Found a few Sunday but the size of GWT flocks showing up mid morning was impressive.

Seen one coot on the same waters where there is normally 100's.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:19 am

Not many BWT compared to some years where me and my boys were hunting, but had friends that were on a slough a few miles away on Sunday and they shot 15 BWT on Sunday morning and said there was alot of nice bunches buzzing around there........for the weekend we had 6 Wood ducks, 1 Pintail 1 Gadwall 1 Mallard 5 BWT and 2 Geese, 4 hunters on saturday and 2 on sunday, not great by no means.........
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: RE: Re: New birds

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:10 pm

9manfan wrote:Not many BWT compared to some years where me and my boys were hunting, but had friends that were on a slough a few miles away on Sunday and they shot 15 BWT on Sunday morning and said there was alot of nice bunches buzzing around there........for the weekend we had 6 Wood ducks, 1 Pintail 1 Gadwall 1 Mallard 5 BWT and 2 Geese, 4 hunters on saturday and 2 on sunday, not great by no means.........

There seemed to be a bit of a push sunday. I was in a woody spot and teal started dropping in mid morning. Plan was to only hunt till 9 or so and then go woodcock hunting but the teal messed them plans up.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”