Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Re: Canada goose decoys

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:35 am

Ghg and Bigfoot both make great floaters.

Take a look at the ghg prograde shells for field decs. You can buy the universal stakes so they have the motion you need, flocked heads and stackable. We have been reducing our fb's and increasing shells and our results have been the same. Fb's are overkill IMO.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:46 am

As for H2o decoys, I persoanlly like Big Foot floaters--they are like a mganun size for better visibility. I used to use G&H but their heads would break too easily. I have no experience with GHG or others.

As for field hunting--do you have the space or a trailer to haul FBs? If not consider Real Geese IIs silos as they the best out there and very compact. The only draw back is that you need a 1/3 more to mimick the same amount of decoys, meaning if you want the visibility of 3 dz, you need 4 dz silos.
If going FBs, I have no opinion as there are so many new brands out there that I just have no experiences with as to if they hold up well. But the old stand by and reknowned for durability are the Big Foot FBs.

And then add this consideration to the mix, especially for field decoys--how hard are the birds hunted where you hunt? If like Rochester where they see lots of decoy spreads, usually 1 of 2 things win out - numbers and/or quality. And conversely, if minimal/no hunting pressure you can use less numbers and mediocre quality just fine for good results.

And of course there is ones budget to factor in all of this. Everyone is different. I've seen guys that can not spend $200, and yet have seen guys that think nothing of dropping $2000 on a decoy spread. For the guys on a budget, Craigs List, website want ads, and garage sales are your friend. All this is comparable to fishing boats. Some have 22' fiberglass with a 150hp and all decked out for $30,000 and some have an alum 14' with a 6hp OB for $1500. Hey, they booth get to go fishing.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Pvogtlin
I'll Swat Your Decoys

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 pm

I bought some Avian X floaters last year and love them. They seem pretty durable and I think they look real good. I packed them in a few times, and threw them in and out of the boat without any issues. If they hold up as well as the duck floaters they should be around a while. The only downside I have seen to them is the lack of different poses.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Always like my bigfoots...had them about 10 years, still look great and have well over 1,000 geese harvested over them. They get thrown into an enclosed trailer, no bags or anything like that. Just throw them in a huge pile and take off. When we combine with some other groups always hate when we have to collect stakes for the GHG or put every decoy into a bag what a pain in the butt. That's just me though, some people don't mind that.

Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:52 pm

If you are looking for goose floaters I'd go big foot over ghg. They are way lighter to carry than the ghg ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordon
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Swartzy wrote:If you are looking for goose floaters I'd go big foot over ghg. They are way lighter to carry than the ghg ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2

Big foots look pretty dreamy on the water when added to a duck spread. Swartzy even put a few bb's in a couple of mine and they still work just fine after 5 years.
Craigslist Prostaff

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 am

Isn't Foiles on the big foot boxes now?

Sent from a phancy fone

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:00 am

Goldfish wrote:Isn't Foiles on the big foot boxes now?

Sent from a phancy fone

I don't know all the foots I have are 5+ years old. They have been shot, dragging in the dirt, beat up, unbagged, and still work great. If I were to do it all over again I would buy as many bigfoots that fit in a 5*10 trailer and be done with it along with 1 - 2 doz foot floaters.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”