Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Re: Snow geese creating environmental disaster

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Yeah I'm sure that's why there hasn't been any very large reward bands placed on waterfowl. It'd be sweet though. Just make sure you aren't hunting over the GHG full bodies with the fake bans on the feet and you're set!

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 pm

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:Yeah I'm sure that's why there hasn't been any very large reward bands placed on waterfowl. It'd be sweet though. Just make sure you aren't hunting over the GHG full bodies with the fake bans on the feet and you're set!

Haha yeah that would be something though! I'm just afraid something like that will get anyone with a gun shooting at any white bird they see. And I'm not against jump shooting at all but I think you get where I'm going with this.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:59 am

It was nuts years ago, much less adding a big $ bounty. I read of guys reporting of guys running around in MO with varmit rifles, shooting banded and neck collared birds to sell on ebay - all while illegally tresspassing, and yes it is also illegal to use a rifle to shoot watefowl. I had a guy shoot some .22s into my spread many years ago. Talk about pucker facter. Then there was the guide in Quebec that was killed by a .22, then a young man in KS killed with a rifle - both wear lying in the snow decoys about 6-7 years ago. I remember some after these 2 occurances were putting signs along the road stating "Don't shoot - decoys" or similar warnings. Then remember the farmer that killed a guy in the fall in SD about 5 years ago when he shot into the decoys that he thought were geese. He had permission from the farmer, but the farmer still shot into the Canada decoys none the less and killed the hunter.
It's damed scarry when you think of how careless/reckless some are.
Thus the image portayed by some on TV of mocking hunters being dufesses with guns has a basis unfortunately.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 am

h2ofwlr wrote:It was nuts years ago. I heard of guys reporting of guys running around in MO with varmit rifles, shooting banded and neck collared birds to sell on ebay - all while illegally tresspassing, and yes it is also illegal to use a rifle to shoot watefowl. I had a guy shoot some .22s into my spread many years ago. Talk about pucker facter. There was the guide in Quebec that was killed by a .22, then a young man in KS killed with a rifle - both wear lying in the decoys about 6-7 years ago. I remember some after these 2 occurances were putting signs along the road stating "Don't shoot - decoys" or similar warnings. Then remember the farmer that killed a guy in the fall in SD about 5 years ago when he shot into the decoys that he thought were geese. He had permission from the farmer, but the farmer still shot into the Canada decoys none the less and killed the hunter.
It's damed scarry when you think of how careless/reckless some are.
Thus the image portayed by some on TV of mocking hunters being dufesses with guns has a basis unfortunately.

Doom and gloom. I could have fell getting out of the shower and died today.

You consider those guys hunters??? I can't believe you would paint us in that light.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 am

Obviously the shooters were not "hunters". But what do the non hunters view us as? Alls they know is what they read in the headlines..... Same goes for responsible gun owners being painted a different color when a non gun owners sees a headline of "..... mudered by a gun....", etc.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”