Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Re: Proposed season, what do you think?

Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 am

Bullet21XD wrote:You believe hunter numbers will ever amount to the majority of voters??

If your answer is anything but no, consider yourself "that" guy.

Majority? He'll no. But enough to keep the extreme antis from screwing with us I can only hope so.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Anti's don't make jobs. They don't consume products that drive economies (at least they don't admit to it, but I guarantee the hypocritical bastards shop at Walmart), and it's hard for them to separate from the paint throwing property vandalizing hooligans.

Sure, we got wing nuts, but the Nudge is no match for a rich suburban hippie kid.

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 pm

Not all antis are the extreme whackjobs.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:38 pm

lanyard wrote:Anti's don't make jobs. They don't consume products that drive economies (at least they don't admit to it, but I guarantee the hypocritical bastards shop at Walmart), and it's hard for them to separate from the paint throwing property vandalizing hooligans.

Sure, we got wing nuts, but the Nudge is no match for a rich suburban hippie kid.

I hate the Nuge.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

dwendt
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Goldfish wrote:Not all antis are the extreme whackjobs.

I call BS

Bailey
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm

I like the fact the south season goes later. Of course the dnr is I'm sure still keeping the vaunted 4pm closing and no early teal still just is unreal.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:01 pm

No, not all anti's are whack jobs. But their whack jobs waaayyyyyy out strip our whack jobs.

The 4 pm closure is one that hasn't come up for awhile. If rested birds mean so much to our season long flight, and we try to balance recruitment:

1) make sunset closure Mon-Thurs
2) make noon closure Fri-Sun

soolong
Coot Commander

Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:45 am

My thoughts on the South Zone....... I personally Do not like the split season. It seems to me that the last 12 days of the season most of the birds in this area have moved through and the lakes have frozen up. I have made my thoughts known to the DNR. I am fortunate to hunt almost every day of the season. To be honest I feel that I get robbed of 12 days in the early season but I do understand that there are other hunters than just me and my hunting party. If there are other hunters that are able to hunt on the river on the east and west sides of the state I am happy for them to be able to hunt the last 12 days of the season. There is nothing more frustrating than to watch migrating birds hit your hunting areas after the season is closed. That said it does not work out that way for me in our hunting area.

As for the youth day I am against it. Funny part of that statement is I have taken my son on every youth hunt that has been available to him. I think it disrupts the birds and causes birds to move to other locations but then again so does the early goose season. So I am a bit of a hypocrite but my Son has had a ton of fun on those hunts.

I think new hunters need to come up through the ranks the way us older hunters have. If you are interested in hunting I think you need to make the leap to be a responsible and ethical hunter and take the appropriate classes etc. Everybody does have different circumstances and I am always open to new ideas. This is just my opinion and on the flip side we do need as many hunters in our corner to keep this tradition alive.

This is the first time on this forum and I am always open to other peoples opinions because every hunters situation is different. Cant wait for the season to start!
I like most things with white cheeks.

9manfan
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 pm

^
^
^
Welcome to the site, I agree with everything you stated, YWD has run it's coarse and just don't see it as a recruitment tool, does more harm than good, (ducks and hunters)...

I would rather hunt that first weekend in October than the split to get December days, like you said, everything is froze up here in the SW part of the state and the migration is for the most part done, SE Mn might be another story for that but not here......
This crowd has gone deadly silent... Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters Championship. It looks like a mirac- It's in the hole! It's in the hole!~ Carl Spackler

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:01 pm

They should add a 4th zone, anything south of 94 and east of 52 . . . run it into December.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”