Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cases of shells

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:33 am

Rio steel shot is on sale at natchez shooters supply. $10-$13 a box. Not sure on shipping price. I've never bought from them.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Superior Shooters Supply. 10% off if you buy a case. Out of season (Spring) I have always found it best to order online.

I like 1's or 2's for snows.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Why did Federal discontinue their Premium red box ultra-shok? Please don't say it was to make room for Black Cloud.

duck_dude
Coot Commander

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Nershi wrote:Superior Shooters Supply. 10% off if you buy a case. Out of season (Spring) I have always found it best to order online.

I like 1's or 2's for snows.

Their website is down.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:Why did Federal discontinue their Premium red box ultra-shok? Please don't say it was to make room for Black Cloud.

I don't think they wanted those competing with the Black Cloud, unfortunately. Personally hate the Black Cloud and absolutely loved the red boxes. They shot great out of my 2 Remingtons and is all I've used for a long time. I still have a 1.5 cases of 2's and a little over a case of BBB but need to find something to switch to. Probably blue box refuse to shoot Black Cloud.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm

I don't get Black Cloud at all. They are marketed as a long range shell that is so much perfectage of their flight-stopper pellets, but their close range has a much higher percentage of the flight-stopper pellets. Why would an increase in the shells flight-stopper pellets make it better for short range? I mean basically they are saying their FS pellets spread out quickly.

Its kinda gimmicky to me. Not as gimmicky as Blindside tho. That shell is garbage.

Quack
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Black cloud -

It's the "flight stopper wad" that keeps the pattern tight. They've been using it to keep their buckshot patterns together since before Black Cloud came out.

The "flight stopper pellets" are belted to tear up wound channels since steel doesn't deform like lead. Belted pellets don't hold patterns very tight so they have to mix with round pellets.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:49 pm

I guess I just really buy that a wad can do all that.

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I guess I just really buy that a wad can do all that.

It can. And it does. Black cloud really is pretty incredible. Not sure why people hate it. I shot a few boxes out of curiosity and it is far superior to any other standard load. But I went back to Xperts because I don't care to spend that much money on a shell just to kill a duck.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm

I'll have to actually pattern it sometime and see for myself i guess. Just not sure how a wad keeps the pellets together that much longer to have any significant effect, I'd like the actual science behind explained. Maybe I can pattern some the same time i sight in the .270 I've had since 07 and shot 3 times.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”