Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014 Snow Goose Reports

Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:44 pm

tola18 wrote:Lots of snows flying West over Montevideo today. Watched for a good half hour and probably saw close to 1,000 up in the stratosphere.

All day over redwood. Way way up. Lots of specks flying too.

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I ended up saying screw it and went out anyways. Drove from Crookston, to Coopertown, south to Oakes, then over to Tewuakon NWR, the a little too far south and went into SD on accident. Then I drove west a long ways and came up back up to 94 a little east of Jamestown. Went east on 94 a ways, went south again and looped back up to 94 around Oriska. Saw lots of geese flying, but could not find a single bird on the ground anywhere. Pretty frustrating, just nothing landing anywhere at all. It was a long day.

Hansen
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:35 am

A group of specks flew over my house in Prior Lake yesterday LOL.

If it were me and I wanted to hunt snows I would go to central SD on Friday after the storm pushes whatever is in ND south. Focus on an area from Brookings/Huron/Webster/Grouton/Aberdeen.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:44 am

I was out most of the day on Sat and Sun in the west metro, and did not hear a single Snow. I was kind of surprised I did not hear at least 1 flock as I usually would.

So did any one get into the Snows Sat or Sun in the Dakotas?

Current weather:
Right now on radar it looks like snow from DL to Bismarck and south into western 1/2 of SD

It looks like Bismarck to DL to NW MN area is going to get clobbered with 12+" of snow. 6-12" SE of that area http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=bis

In SD, just west of Pieere and Aberdeen 12"+. The Pieere/HuronAberdeen area 3-4", Mitcheill/Watertown 2" SE SD down by Sioux Falls none http://www.crh.noaa.gov/wxstory.php?site=abr
Last edited by h2ofwlr on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 am

Long weekend.

Set up Thursday night around 9 o clock. By the time we got decoys, electronics and snow covers on it was about 1130 when we got to the house.

Friday morning was cold. Too cold. We saw maybe 500 all morning and they flew from one roost to another roost and never went to a field. Friday night we thought would be much better as there were about 1000 in our field the night before. Well we were wrong. Same story as in the morning. After Friday night's hunt, we decided to move to another field we had permission for.

Saturday morning rolls around and it was cold once again and very windy from the south. We took a break around 11-1 and drove around scouting. Got back to the spread after that and the top layer of ice had thawed and half of our 1000 sillosocks were laying on the ground :x

Set them back up and finally late Saturday afternoon the birds starting working a little better. We ended up with a few Saturday night. Snow covers came off around 4 Saturday afternoon. Did not see a single migrating flock on Saturday.

We figured Sunday could be real good with a slight south wind and 60 degrees. Well the migrators were in full force Sunday but they were a mile high and had no interest. Left at noon for home.

Throughout the three days, besides the few we shot, we had ZERO birds even circle our spread. The worst weekend we've ever had snow goose hunting but caught up with some guys that I haven't seen since last spring so that was nice at least.

I am probably done for the year. Possibly go out in two weekends but spring planting will be here before we know it.

Good luck to anyone going out in the next week.

maplelakeduckslayer
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:08 am

That sucks. We are gearing up to head out next Wednesday or Thursday...not sure yet if it will be ND or SD. Going to have to see what happens after this blizzard comes though and if anything comes of the other chances of snow this week.

greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 am

maplelakeduckslayer wrote:That sucks. We are gearing up to head out next Wednesday or Thursday...not sure yet if it will be ND or SD. Going to have to see what happens after this blizzard comes though and if anything comes of the other chances of snow this week.

Basically all adults yet near Watertown area. Talked to a buddy hunting sw of Mitchell Sunday and they shot a few too but mostly adults there yet as well.

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:53 am

Very few true pockets of juvies yet in SD. Non stop migration saturday, all adults. Had decent decoying until the snow melted. Had to reset the spread yesterday morning due to ground thaw. Cost me a lot of interested flocks right away in the morning. Got some fresh juvie action later in the day. Adults started to migrate out sunday morning but plenty were coming back from the north late yesterday afternoon. Going to be at least a week before these stale adults move on.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:13 pm

At what point do the juvies catch up with the adults? Or do they always stay south of adults?

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:At what point do the juvies catch up with the adults? Or do they always stay south of adults?

Depends on the year/weather. There is always some that lag way behind though.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”