Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Swartzy
Mergie Marauder

Re: Cases of shells

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:13 pm

I like shooting black cloud for geese, and I my experience I kill more geese using black cloud compared to some cheaper shells. Ducks on the other hand most shots are close and any old shell will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I'll have to actually pattern it sometime and see for myself i guess. Just not sure how a wad keeps the pellets together that much longer to have any significant effect, I'd like the actual science behind explained. Maybe I can pattern some the same time i sight in the .270 I've had since 07 and shot 3 times.

Wad separates from the shot string instead of blowing through it. Saturn shaped pellets do nothing more than create a bigger wound channel. Patternmasters do the same thing for regular wads. End result for both blackcloud and patternmaster is a more dense shot pattern and a shorter shot string.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 am

The thing I remember most from Black Cloud is the face full of powder and dirty barrel.

I've ordered cases from Cabela's for in-store pick-up, anticipate Rogers will be my go-to in the future.

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 am

emptymag wrote:
Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I'll have to actually pattern it sometime and see for myself i guess. Just not sure how a wad keeps the pellets together that much longer to have any significant effect, I'd like the actual science behind explained. Maybe I can pattern some the same time i sight in the .270 I've had since 07 and shot 3 times.

Wad separates from the shot string instead of blowing through it. Saturn shaped pellets do nothing more than create a bigger wound channel. Patternmasters do the same thing for regular wads. End result for both blackcloud and patternmaster is a more dense shot pattern and a shorter shot string.

Uh I thought Black Cloud wads are supposed to keep the shot together longer, while Patternmaster strips the wad, so basically they work exactly the opposite?

I'm really strong to my convictions though because I just bought a box of 3 1/2" Black Cloud BB cause it was only $20.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:
emptymag wrote:

Uh I thought Black Cloud wads are supposed to keep the shot together longer, while Patternmaster strips the wad, so basically they work exactly the opposite?

I'm really strong to my convictions though because I just bought a box of 3 1/2" Black Cloud BB cause it was only $20.

That what all the wings/petals on the black cloud wad do, strip it from the shot column.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

cstemig
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Drunk_Dynasty wrote:I don't get Black Cloud at all. They are marketed as a long range shell that is so much perfectage of their flight-stopper pellets, but their close range has a much higher percentage of the flight-stopper pellets. Why would an increase in the shells flight-stopper pellets make it better for short range? I mean basically they are saying their FS pellets spread out quickly.

Its kinda gimmicky to me. Not as gimmicky as Blindside tho. That shell is garbage.

From what I have read recently about Black Cloud FS pellets is that they are not designed for long distance shooting, i.e. beyond 45-yards. They advertise the " Black Cloud Snow Goose" loads as long range, but I don't believe it. IMHO,within 45-yards, Black Cloud is one of the most devastating loads out there. My experience with it has been excellent...more immediate kills and if there is a wounded bird, they also die quickly.

The article that I have read about it comes from American Waterfowl, Tom Roster's article on the non-toxic loads. Briefly, he states that traditional steel loads are all that most of us need. They will perform just fine out to 50-60 yards with enough energy to kill.
" God is great, beer is good, and people are just frickin crazy!."

Drunk_Dynasty
Mergie Marauder

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Thats what I always kinda thought. It wasn't meant to be a long distance shell. The "Snow Goose" is just a cute trick to increase the muzzle velocity but it doesn't really add to anything.

The worst is the Blindside that is supposed to be "stacked" but I've opened up those shells and they are not stacked at all. Like there is no way they can be more effective than normal steel.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”