Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Re: A duck dilemma: How many is too many?

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:43 pm

People want to deal with the issues rather than ignore them.

How do you propose MN fix the problem?

I'm not sure why Missouri is being touted as some kind of duck mecca. It really isn't. Having a handful of well managed properties that attract waterfowl means nothing. It means they're in the duck hunting business, nothing more.

The biggest factor in MO's success is likely due to the advancements in rice cultivation on the Grand Prairie. Combined with large populations of Snow Geese, what drew ducks south aside from instinct is no longer there. Plus, the areas of MO that see large numbers of ducks throughout the migration now...always have seen large numbers of flight ducks.

People in MN are true hypocrits. They want more, but are unwilling to sacrifice for the betterment of all. This is obvious anytime the subject of a noon/1pm closure or draw system is mentioned. The DNR has no spine to take the drastic measures often required to make a plan successful. Much of this stems from fact that too many people in the state are not interested in the business of killing ducks. A true lack of dedication to duck hunting.
Dominate The Skies.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:23 pm

Another factor is the climate impacts of warmer winters. As the opossum et, al move north and moose too far south are dying from the heat.... the mallards particularly don't need to go as far south or as early.

This is NOT an argument for/against the later season split framework... but pointing out that MO has a couple things going for it.

Remember, the 4 pm closure used to go for the first full two weeks, but this old guy, not a biologist but State Representative or Senator, can't remember, named Bob "The Old Trapper" Lessard lobbied hard to get rid of the 4 pm closure because it was keeping kids from hunting after school.

A noon closure would do more for improving a hunter's experience in MN than not letting them shoot until sunrise, or noon on opening day, etc,. until about the last week in October when the whole freakin' state freezes right before it warms up again.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:28 pm

there's plenty of ducks in mn

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:29 pm

more than enough.... I don't get what all the complaining is about

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Easy statements to make when you don't know any better.
Dominate The Skies.

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:15 pm

what do you mean

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 pm

do you disagree with the following statement:
If you put in more effort than the average hunter, you will kill more than the average hunter.

The limit is only six. Do you need wave after wave of birds like "the good old days in MN" so you can kill six?

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:47 pm

tyler wrote:do you disagree with the following statement:
If you put in more effort than the average hunter, you will kill more than the average hunter.

The limit is only six. Do you need wave after wave of birds like "the good old days in MN" so you can kill six?

Do you agree with this statement... In states with far superior waterfowl numbers, does a well below average duck hunter have a better chance of shooting a limit?

This discussion isn't about whether or not you can kill ducks in Minnesota.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

tyler
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Trigger wrote:

Do you agree with this statement... In states with far superior waterfowl numbers, does a well below average duck hunter have a better chance of shooting a limit?

This discussion isn't about whether or not you can kill ducks in Minnesota.

I wasn't trying to sound conceited or talking about my own ability. I just think that the habitat situation in MN isn't going to get better in the near future, if ever, and that you have to make the most of what we have.

Bullet21XD
Mergie Marauder

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I try to do less than the average hunter. I do manage a duck or two once in a while..."limiting out" really isn't my thing.

I'm long past working hard to kill a duck. That's for suckers, kids, and people not smart enough to figure the shit out!
Dominate The Skies.

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”