Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
mulefarm
Coot Commander

Re: Free Pine Wood Duck Boxes

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Not sure why this box is on the ground?

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Al any wood duck houses left? I have 45+ I maintain every year and looking to add several more. Slowly transitioning to all poles over water.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 pm

^^^ as long as there is 2' or more of water with a box on a post, that works for me.

mulefarm wrote:Not sure why this box is on the ground?

Because it was too dark inside where it was sitting on a table for a photo. So I placed outside before they loaded it up after a WDS mtg a few years back.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Waterfowlist
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Yeah they would be.

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 am

mulefarm wrote:Not sure why this box is on the ground?

It's not a production house. It is for show and tell to dramatize/make an impact on people the importance of predator guards.

Might be considered hyperbole, since the raccoon AND the squirrel wouldn't likely be raiding at the same time.... they're kind of like the farmer and the cow man... they should be friends, but mostly they're competitors for wood duck eggs. Also, I think they tend to have different hours of operation.

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:33 am

So you placed this wood duck house outside with a pet squirrel and coon on it for a photo op? What was the point exactly?

Great example Al! :roll:

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am

Pets? A rodent and predator and their days of occupying or predating are long over - as they are stuffed.

Which kind of reminds me a few people here - stuffed.

Just for nershi since he wants the "real" thing:

Nershi
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:21 pm

That's a more practical example.

According to the article it looks like all that is needed is some aluminum warp around the tree to keep most coons out. Good to know posts aren't necessary.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:11 pm

I and many others have had coons and squirrels go right past 2' high sheet metal on trees. The article even stated that the racoon got past it and took another photo of it. You conveniently negated to mention that didn't you?

Considering its cost, that the sheets rip apart as the tree goes, the box's back board splits as the tree grows, that if the squirrels or 'coons can go up a neighboring tree and cross over to the tree that the box in on and come down the trunk, it is just best to mount the box on a post and place a cone shaped guard at least 42" off the ground under the box .

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:28 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:I and many others have had coons and squirrels go right past 2' high sheet metal on trees. The article even stated that the racoon got past it and took another photo of it. You conveniently negated to mention that didn't you?

Considering its cost, that the sheets rip apart as the tree goes, the box's back board splits as the tree grows, that if the squirrels or 'coons can go up a neighboring tree and cross over to the tree that the box in on and come down the trunk, it is just best to mount the box on a post and place a cone shaped guard at least 42" off the ground under the box .

But mounting it on a tree trunk you are atleast making an attempt to hide your litter.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”