Forum rules
NOTICE! These forums are intended for CIVIL discussion around waterfowl hunting. If you've got an axe to grind or rant to make, do it in the MNFOWL's Misguided Children forum.
greatwhitehunter3!
Mergie Marauder

Re: 2014 Snow Goose Reports

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Every year is obviously different but we were shooting them Nebraska/SD border around 13th of march last year.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 am

Being Kansas City had 50s last week, you did as well as could be hoped, considering that they are in the 20s right now--it'll be a bust this weekend down there.

2 weeks from now NW MO should be covered in Snows if they get 60s. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/kansas ... r=3/1/2014

South and West of Sioux Falls to Aberdeen there still is minimal snow. They could easily do a NW MO to Sand Lake jump in 1 day 2.5 weeks from now--whether they stick around or head back as they are known to do is another thing . My point being is once 50s hit--sheet water should be present and the geese pushing north should stick around a few days.

And for SD 50s 2 weeks from now. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sioux- ... r=3/1/2014

Accuweather is predicting a good warm up (40s) for the the TC area 2 weeks from now. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chanha ... r=3/1/2014

But take their long term forecasts with a grain of salt as 3 weeks ago AW was predicting 40s for this week for here. But the sun is getting higher and higher in the sky and the resulting warmth was evident yesterday when it was 5 and the ice in the streets was melting mid day from the suns rays. And like I mentioned yesterday it could be like flipping a light switch and we have well above freezing temps and a big melt.
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

Bill Gilbertson
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 am

Bill Gilbertson wrote:Hunt planned for NW MO Mar 3-5. It's hard to get excited with this much snow on the ground here.

We are delaying our hunt. Below zero nights next week.

emptymag
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:46 am

Good call. Looks like March 10th or so will be much better if the long range forecast holds.
"You can't eat ethical." - Ron Spomer

"There's a feeling I get, When I look to the west, And my spirit is crying for leaving" - LED ZEP

tornadochaser
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:17 pm

h2ofwlr wrote:Being Kansas City had 50s last week, you did as well as could be hoped, considering that they are in the 20s right now--it'll be a bust this weekend down there.

2 weeks from now NW MO should be covered in Snows if they get 60s. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/kansas ... r=3/1/2014

South and West of Sioux Falls to Aberdeen there still is minimal snow. They could easily do a NW MO to Sand Lake jump in 1 day 2.5 weeks from now--whether they stick around or head back as they are known to do is another thing . My point being is once 50s hit--sheet water should be present and the geese pushing north should stick around a few days.

And for SD 50s 2 weeks from now. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sioux- ... r=3/1/2014

Accuweather is predicting a good warm up (40s) for the the TC area 2 weeks from now. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chanha ... r=3/1/2014

But take their long term forecasts with a grain of salt as 3 weeks ago AW was predicting 40s for this week for here. But the sun is getting higher and higher in the sky and the resulting warmth was evident yesterday when it was 5 and the ice in the streets was melting mid day from the suns rays. And like I mentioned yesterday it could be like flipping a light switch and we have well above freezing temps and a big melt.

So when do you plan on hunting SD then?

Goldfish
Mergie Marauder

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm

He's trying to help others

Sent from a phancy fone

lanyard
Mergie Marauder

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Went out yesterday morning for the MN Light Goose Opener. It was COLD. Not much flying. SW Minnesota between Windom and Worthington. Saw a few mallards flying. Had to use ground heater so I could pound holes for windsock stakes. The decs were looking good, plenty of wind to keep them dancing!

Just nice to get a sunrise in and set decoys..... We are truly lucky for the experience.

h2ofwlr
The One And Only

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
God, help me be the man that my dog thinks that I am.

gimpfinger
Mergie Marauder

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Still snows near natchez ms

sent from your under your bed
Hate hate hate hate hate hate

Trigger
Mergie Marauder

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Shot 160 adults south of here over the weekend using 700 windsocks and 4 e-callers. We were about a mile north of some dbag guide service that had every gadget and gizmo that a snow goose nerd could ever dream of, pretty sure they got skunked. All the guides were packing up and heading back to Arkansas to hunt the juvies that they need in order to be able to decoy.

I bet by the end of this month the birds will be in and around SoDak. Maybe even a little north of there. Some south, but fewer than whats north.
"When we have as many hot button issues going on as we do at any given time, we must use a science based approach to management. It is not always the most popular, but is the only way way we can defend ourselves." Tom Landwehr, September 2013

Return to “Waterfowl Hunting”